Thursday, October 24, 2013

Thankful Thursday

Happy Thursday!

You know, being a mom has given me a whole new appreciation for things in life - both big and small.  On Sunday morning, John was up early, so we went downstairs and turned on the TV for some snuggle time. You'll never believe who was on PBS at 6:00 in the morning....Mr. Rogers.

I was a Sesame Street girl growing up while my older brother adored Mr. Rogers.  I never understood what he saw in him and I thought the show was dry and bland.  Well, on Sunday, I finally got it.  It took me 30 years, but I am in love with Mr. Rogers and his message of thankfulness, joy and love.

The episode involved a little boy, Jeffrey Erlanger, who was in a wheelchair.  John kept asking me why he was in a wheelchair and I told him we had to listen to Jeffrey explain it, and explain he did.  As the tears were rolling down my face, I realized what a teaching moment this had become.  To have a little boy who can run, jump and skip is a blessing that I too often take for granted.

Obsessed with Jeffrey's story, I came into work on Monday and Googled him.  I found this clip, which shows part of the episode I referenced along with a follow-up when Mr. Rogers was inducted into the TV Hall of Fame.  Jeffrey surprised Mr. Rogers by coming on stage, and the genuine surprised look on Mr. Rogers' face says it all.

What an amazing man he was, and what an inspiration Mr. Rogers is to countless generations.

Unfortunately, Jeffrey passed away in the late 90's, but his spirit lives on in his story.




Question of the Day:
What are you thankful for today?

Until next time!
~Anne Marie