Wednesday, June 12, 2013

You Know You're Italian When......

1.  You talk with your hands.

2.  The red stuff you put on pasta is gravy, not sauce.

3.  There's a box of Torrone's at every holiday meal.....but yet no one ever eats them.

4.  Italian Wedding soup and crusteans are the way you start dinner at your grandmom's house.

5.  You hug and kiss just about everyone you meet....what, that's weird?

6.  You were as tall as your grandmom (and in my case, my aunt) by the time you were 6. (Sorry grandmom and Aunt Nette!)

7.  You've heard stories from your great uncle about the pretzel man, the milk man and how he received oranges for Christmas.  (Uncle Joe always reminds me how grateful he was to have received that orange....)

You eat a meal with "gravy" at least one night a week.  This week, we had eggplant parmesan.



I used three good-sized eggplants, pealed, cut and breaded them.  After they are breaded, put them in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, flipping them once halfway through.

After they are cooked, assemble the eggplant like you would if you were making chicken parmesan - gravy, eggplant, ricotta cheese (in this case, I used fat free cottage cheese), more gravy and shredded cheese.  Bake for an additional 30 minutes and enjoy!

I don't make this too often, but whenever I do, I'm reminded of how much the hubby loves this stuff.  What a great way to get some vegetables into our diets!

Question of the Day:
Are you a fan of eggplant?

Until next time!
~Anne Marie