Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Turkey Stuffed Peppers

Happy Wednesday!

John had a fever of 102.6 Monday night so I kept him home yesterday.  Thankfully he woke up with no fever and seems to be on the mend.  Isn't cold and flu season supposed to be on its way out?  I'm so ready for Spring already!

I had some ground turkey in the fridge and instead of making meatloaf, I decided to make stuffed peppers.  This was one of my favorite meals as a kid and even if I follow my mom's recipe to a "t" it never tastes as good as when she makes it.  

Stuffed Peppers

4 bell peppers, whole
1 lb ground turkey
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
1 can of diced tomatoes or about a cup of spaghetti sauce
Shredded cheese

1.  Cut the tops off of the peppers and boil them in water for five minutes.  I skipped this step because I'm lazy, but it does make the peppers very soft by the time you are ready to eat them.
2.  Cook the turkey and onion together.
3.  Once the turkey is cooked through, add in brown rice, 1/2 cup of water and tomatoes/spaghetti sauce, reduce the heat so that the mixture is simmering and put a lid on it for about 15 minutes.  After 15 minutes are up, add a handful or so of shredded cheese.
3.  Put peppers in a casserole dish - I used an 8x8 pan - and stuff the peppers with the mixture.  Top with cheese and bake in a 350 degree oven uncovered for 25-30 minutes.



I had extra filling so I put the rest in the bottom of the dish with the peppers, but you could certainly use more peppers.

John wasn't a fan of the peppers but loved the filling.  Funny fact - when my mom made this I only ate the filling too - I didn't start eating the pepper part until I was 15-16 years old!

Question of the Day:
Is there a meal that reminds you of home?

Until next time!
~Anne Marie