Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Homemade Pizza Dough

Happy Wednesday!

Almost a year ago, my mom was cleaning out her closet and found a bread machine she wanted to get rid of.  At the time, she didn't have the manual so after some googling, I found a simple recipe for bread.  Knowing that I hoard love kitchen gadgets, I scooped it up, made bread with it exactly one time and put it away in my attic.  The bread turned out okay, but it was nothing stellar.  Recently, my mom came across the manual and handed it over. I wasn't sure if I even wanted it - I mean really, the bread machine was just sitting in my attic collecting dust.  Mom insisted and as usual  she was right.  I paged through the recipe book and lo and behold, there was a recipe for pizza dough.  If you've been reading the blog for a little while, you might know that we have homemade pizza on Sunday nights.  I had been buying whole wheat dough at the grocery store so when I saw the recipe for pizza dough, I gave myself a mental head slap.  Why hadn't I thought of that before?

I gave it a go and lo and behold, in 1 hour and 8 minutes, the bread machine made some pretty sweet pizza dough.  No more spending $1.99 for dough I can make for pennies.  Boy am I glad I hadn't thrown the bread machine away!


Turns out you can make lots of stuff with a bread maker including bagels, french bread and even soft pretzels - who would've thought?


And as for that less-than-stellar bread I first made?  Rumor has it you can use the bread machine to mix up the dough and then, after some rising, the dough can be baked into the oven.  Yup, that's next on my list of things to try.

Question of the Day:
Is there anything that you would rather make homemade than buy at the store?

Until next time!
~Anne Marie