Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Crockpot Lasagna Stoup


Happy Wednesday and Happy Spring!

Yesterday I could feel the beginnings of a cold coming on.  I felt run down, exhausted and stuffy.  The hubby is getting over a sinus infection and I'm hoping it doesn't turn into what he has - yuck!

Despite feeling crummy, I knew I was coming home to some lasagna soup and that made me pretty happy.  (Original recipe can be found here.)  It's more of a hearty stew rather than a soup, so I've been calling it "stoup" a la Rachael Ray.

I modified it a little bit though, so here's what I used:

1 lb lean turkey
2 cups beef broth
3 cloves of garlic, minced
Italian seasoning
1 small onion, diced (optional)
1 28oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 6oz can of tomato paste
2 cups uncooked shell pasta
Optional topping:  shredded cheese

Mix the crushed tomatoes and tomato paste together in the crockpot.  Add the turkey (uncooked), garlic, beef broth, Italian seasoning and onion and cook it on high for 4 1/2 hours.  Add in two cups of uncooked shell pasta and let it cook for an additional 30 minutes.

What you're left with is this:



This was comfort on a plate, and after snapping this picture, I added an ounce of shredded cheese.  The next time I make this, I'll be adding in some veggies - maybe some peppers?

The little guy, hubby and I gobbled it up and we all wanted seconds even though it filled us up.  I'd say it was a win!

Question of the Day:
Which do you prefer - winter or spring?

Until next time!
~Anne Marie