Thursday, February 28, 2013

Thankful Thursday


Happy Thursday!

When it comes to raising the little guy, one of the things my husband and I have always done from the beginning is talk to and explain things to him.  We didn't do much of the "baby talk" thing - but rather treated him like he was someone who could learn and understand things even though he was only a few days old.  When he was old enough to make a choice (i.e., if he could point to one thing over another) we allowed him to decide.  I've always felt that if he is able to make a choice about something minor, he'll feel good about himself - like we are doing what he wants - when in reality, whatever he's choosing doesn't matter anyway.

The husband and I can only hope that leading by example will help him to understand, and when the time is right, to act.  We started this when we were weaning him off of his pacifier.  Along with the "binky fairy" who took his pacifier and replaced it with a special toy, we reiterated to him that his binky was going to a baby girl or boy who didn't have one.  Somehow, that seemed to click and to this day (even though it was almost a year ago that he gave it up) he talks about how the binky fairy gave his binky to a little baby boy and how that boy is happy now.

When I go through my closets and crawl space to do some cleaning out, the little guy helps me by putting things into boxes.  He asks where the things are going and I tell him that they are going to people who need them.  

Today was the first time where I think it finally clicked for him.




Source
As I was getting dressed for work, he ran over to my bed and pulled out the belt from my robe.  I asked him what he was doing with it and he turned to me and said "mommy, I'm going to give this belt to a little boy or girl who doesn't have a belt to play with."  I stood back and smiled at him, suppressing my laugh and told him I was proud of him and that it was a very loving thing to do.

It's moments like this that give me strength to get through the trying times.  And for that, I'm truly thankful.

Question of the Day:
What are you thankful for today?

Until next time!
~Anne Marie