Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Case For Organic

Happy Wednesday! 

Ever since getting a Kindle, I've been obsessed with reading.  Just recently, I checked out Jillian Michael's book Master Your Metabolism


Sidebar - I LOVE Jillian Michaels.  A lot of what she says makes sense to me, and this book was no exception.  She writes like she talks, and this book really resonated with me.  

Her basic philosophy is if it doesn't have a mother or didn't grow from the ground, don't put it in your mouth.  She claims that our hormones are all out of whack because when we eat processed foods, our system doesn't know what to do with them.  She also goes into plastics in foods, our environment  etc., but I want to focus on the food part of the book.

In Master Your Metabolism, Jillian encourages people to buy almost everything organic with the exception of water (do they even make organic water?), seafood and foods you don't eat that often.  What should you always buy organic?  She lists the following:

      1.      Meat, dairy and eggs
2.      Coffee
3.      Peaches and nectarines
4.      Apples
5.      Bell peppers
6.      Celery
7.      Berries
8.      Lettuce
9.      Grapes
10.   Foods you eat a lot

I get it, really, I do, but I struggle when it comes to the cost of buying most things organic.  Take milk, for example.  At my grocery store, one gallon of organic milk is $6.00, and I buy at least two gallons a week (the hubby and little guy drink it like there's no tomorrow!).  It seems like a trade-off.  Do I want to spend the money putting good foods into my family's body or do I want to buy the more affordable, pesticide-laden food?

For now, at least, I'm trying to limit the processed foods and buy organic here and there, but I don't know how one feeds a family cost-effectively on organic foods.  Can someone shed some light on this?

Question of the Day:
Do you eat/buy organic food?  How do you stay within your budget?

Until next time!
~Anne Marie