Thursday, December 6, 2012

Thankful Thursday

Happy Thursday!

Growing up, there was this house nearby that used to have a Christmas display unlike anything I'd ever seen before.  Every year my family would pile up in the car, drive the 30 minute trip and join other families in looking at this house.  The owner had a lot of property, so the lights, animated reindeer and Santa seemed to go on forever.  In reality, The house stretched about a block and a half, but to a 7 year old, that was equivalent to forever. No trip to the house was complete without pausing at the memorial the guy had for his wife who had away from cancer. He dedicated the display to her every year.  Sadly, the owner of the house stopped putting up those lights a few years ago, and there never was anything that quite lived up to that house.

Fast forward a bunch of years - as fate would have it, we live right down the street from someone that puts out a lot of Christmas lights/lawn decorations and various animated Christmas paraphernalia   This guy even has lights on his roof and a full-size Santa in an air balloon.  It's a little bit insane, especially because the houses where I live aren't very large, and the grassy area isn't much.  But every year since we've moved there, we anxiously anticipate when he's going to put out his lights so that we can enjoy it.

Last year the little guy loved seeing the lights, hearing the music and walking around the property.  In fact, while we were walking around, the owner came outside and was talking to the others who had stopped by to marvel at his house.  I got a chance to thank him for all the time and effort and he looked at the little guy and said "him right there - that's the reason I do this.  The kids love it!"  

Last night was the first time I noticed his lights on.  As soon as I came home from work, I bundled up the little guy, got the hubby to put on his shoes and out the door we went to marvel at this year's display.  Every year the owner adds something different - this time it was red and green arches over the driveway.  Yes, it's obnoxious, and yes his energy bill is probably through the roof, but today, I'm thankful for those extreme Christmas-lighters.

The picture below is one I found off of a Google search - and while the house I'm talking about doesn't look like this, I think you'll get a better picture of what I mean when I say "extreme Christmas-lighter."  haha.

Source
Question of the Day:
What are you thankful for today?

Until next time!
~Anne Marie