Monday, November 19, 2012

Happy Birthday, Grandpop!

Happy Monday! 

Hope everyone had a great weekend!  Mine was both relaxing and productive.  I love weekends like that!  Bonus - this is a short work-week for me.  With Thanksgiving on Thursday, I took off on Wednesday and our office is closed Friday.  I'm pretty excited about that!

So today is a special day in our family - today, my grandpop would have been 87 years old.  He passed away when he was the 63 from cancer, and while I was only 7 years old when he died, I still remember bits and pieces about him.  

My grandpop was a plumber by trade.  After he retired, he still made house calls and didn't charge his customers.  In fact, there was one Christmas Eve where he spent some time installing a hot water heater for someone.  He was just that kind of a guy.  

Speaking of Christmas, my grandpop used to dress as Santa Claus for underprivileged children and he would also be the Santa Claus in the neighborhood.  I remember him dressing as Santa for his grandchildren - he made an awesome one, even though I was afraid of him!

Of all of the things I remember about my grandpop, the one thing that sticks out the most is how much faith he had.  He used to go on retreats at Malvern Retreat house and attended daily Mass.  I remember when he came home from retreat one year and called me over to sit on his lap.  He told me he had something for me and he handed me glow in the dark rosary beads.  I thought they were the cat's meow.  I used to keep them in my pencil case during school hours and when I was particularly stressed, I would take them to bed with me and say some prayers. 

He had a gentle spirit and a kind heart.  Whenever he would see his grandkids, he would squeeze our cheeks harder than you could ever imagine and give us the best hugs in the world.  Unfortunately I don't have any scanned pictures of him, so I had to steal this one from my grandmom's facebook.  Yup, my 85 year old grandmom has facebook - how cool is she? 

Grandmom and Grandpop at Aunt Nette's Wedding

When I was preggo and the hubby and I were going back and forth with names, I asked what he thought of having a middle name of Peter (my grandpop's name).  My hubby gave the green light, and when our little guy was born, we named him John Peter.  I like to think that the little guy has some of my grandpop's spirit in him, and I see it most when he smiles.

I'm not sure if I'll get back to posting here before Thanksgiving, but if not, I want to wish all of my American friends a Happy Thanksgiving!

Question of the Day:
What was the highlight of your weekend?

Until next time!
~Anne Marie