Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Getting the Veggies In

Thank you for all of the kind wishes about the water damage to our house. We're having a contractor come our today to give us an estimate. Fingers crossed that all goes well!

When it comes to eating, the little guy does fairly well.  He likes most vegetables and will usually try something new when given the opportunity.  I have to admit that he does have his go-to foods that he'll always eat no matter what, but I find too much comfort in it and have started to get him in a food rut.  Sometimes I'm hesitant to make something new because if he doesn't like it, I don't want to make a separate meal.

I decided to bite the bullet and trust that he would like eggplant parmesan for three reasons:

1.  He'll eating almost anything that's breaded
2.  He'll eat almost anything that's covered in red gravy
3.  He'll definitely eat anything covered in cheese

Eggplants were on sale, so I picked up one and got to work.

First, peel and slice the eggplant into circles.  Dip them in eggs and breadcrumbs and put them on a baking sheet.


I baked these guys in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes and flipped them halfway through.

Once they are done baking, assemble the eggplant parmesan just like you would for chicken parmesan:  gravy, eggplant, ricotta cheese, gravy, mozzarella cheese until you reach the top.

Bake it for another 30 minutes and when you are done, it should look like this.



I served the eggplant along with what we call "cheesy rice" which is just a microwavable bag with cheese sauce with rice and broccoli.  It's the little guy's favorite side dish.  I figured if he didn't like the eggplant, he'd certainly eat the rice and broccoli.


Turns out the little guy loves eggplant parmesan!  Woo hoo!

I now have another way to get some vegetables into my little guy, and that makes this mama happy.


Question of the Day:
Eggplant parm - yay or nay?

Until next time!
~Anne Marie