Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Let's Talk: Embracing Yourself

Happy Wednesday! Lately I've been trying to embrace the parts of me that make me....well....me.

I would consider myself a pretty low-key person when it comes to style.   There are styles I love but I don't think I could ever get away with wearing.  Take, for example, this skirt.  It's bright pink.  I love it, but I don't know if I would ever be caught wearing it because it's "loud" and it would attract a lot of attention.

Over the last few weeks, I've decided to throw caution to the wind and embrace my inner voice telling me that it's okay to be "loud" or wear something out of character, because in the end, who really cares?

I bought these sunglasses from Amazon a few weeks ago because they were super cheap and I go through sunglasses like I go through water. 


I really liked the way they looked in the picture, but when I got them, the frames were much larger and when I put them on, I thought I looked like a bug.  When I mentioned this to my husband, he started to laugh while trying to be supportive. Apparently he thought the same thing.

I swallowed my pride and the nervous feelings that came with wearing them out in public and started sporting them when it was sunny.  And you know what?  Despite my reservations, I actually felt confident.  I mean really, they're only sunglasses.

From sunglasses, I moved onto these glittery headbands and I even bought a backpack-like purse with a funky pattern that I would have shied away from a few short months ago.

I've spent so many years of my life worrying about what people think of me (when I tell myself that I really don't care) and now?  I'm over it.   It's only taken me 29 years, but I've finally embraced myself for all that I am, even if I look like the silliest girl in the world.  And you know what?  It feels amazing!

Question of the Day:
Do you ever have reservations when it comes to something you like to wear?


Until next time!
~Anne Marie


Other Post in the Let's Talk Series