Monday, March 12, 2012

Using Your Voice

Happy Monday!

This week the students are on Spring Break, so I'm hoping my work week will be relatively quiet.

I appreciate all of your thoughtful comments on my Teachable Mommy Moments post. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a tendency to overreact all the time once in a while.

It was so beautiful out yesterday that the hubby and I decided to spend as much time as possible outside with the little guy.  We got to enjoy the sun and cool breeze and the little guy got to run around and get out some of his insane amounts of energy.  (Sidebar - I don't remember having that much energy when I was younger!)

Anyway.....after some running, we took a walk around the block.  My house is right down the street from an elementary school and  there are almost always kids playing on the playground.  While we were passing by yesterday, I overheard a girl screaming at a boy on a bike.  It was the kind of screaming that made you turn your head.  I stood there for a few moments wondering what in the world was going on.  It didn't take me long to figure out that the girl was bullying the boy...... big time.  In that moment, all I could see was my son on that bike.  I imagined him being in a similar situation when he gets older.  I know I would want someone to intervene on his behalf and so, I approached the girl.  My husband and son continued walking up and down the street.  I didn't want my son to be afraid, so I told my husband to keep going. 

I asked the girl if it would be necessary to call the police because of her outrageous behavior.  She began cursing and saying that the boy on the bike was being mean to her.  The boy immediately flocked to my side and turned over his arm to reveal a cut.  He told me the girl picked up a stick and hit him with it.

I told her there was no need for her outburst and that she needed to leave.  With that, a mother came out of the parking lot and walked towards me.  I thought it was the girl's mother.  Turns out that the mother witnessed the entire situation from her car.  She mentioned to me that her son was kicked by the girl a few minutes earlier.  Wait.....what?!  You just sat there and watched it happen?  I know kids have to fight their own battles, but I was outraged that this mom did nothing.  It wasn't until I approached the young girl that she came out of her car to side with the boy on the bike.

The group of girls ended up leaving and I told the boy to come find me if they gave him trouble again.  After all, I was only circling the block and he had his bike. 

It's funny what being a mom has done to me.  It has given me a voice I didn't have before.   I know some people wouldn't want to get involved but I had to use my voice.  That little boy could've been anyone.....heck - he even reminded me of myself at his age.  I was bullied constantly (although certainly not to the extreme that he was) and facing this girl was like facing all the people I let walk all over me in school.

 I came across this image in Google this morning and thought it seemed appropriate.


Source
Use your voice and make it count!

Question of the Day:
Would you consider yourself an outspoken person?

Until next time!
~Anne Marie