Friday, March 9, 2012

Teachable Mommy Moments

Happy Friday!

Yesterday I had the wonderful pleasure of being home with the little guy and it wasn't because he was sick. Our babysitter's husband was going in for surgery and she needed off for a few days. Yesterday was my day to be home with him and I wanted to cherish every single moment I possibly could. I took my camera with me on our adventures to the park, running around the neighborhood and playing around at home. 

I re-learned just how much fun he is to be with all day and it made my heart ache for more time with him.  Many people have dreams of being successful in their career, but my dream?  It's to be a stay-at-home mom.  To wake up every day and not rush through breakfast because the hubby and I have to go to work and get him to the babysitter's house.  To cuddle up with him and watch Sesame Street in our pajamas without a care in the world.  Anyway....I digress.....I'm really getting to something here, I promise.

After a breakfast of waffles and "cake"  (the top of a corn muffin), we settled next to his toy box to play.

After a bunch of playing, it was time to let him run around the park like crazy.  We had such beautiful weather (70 degrees and sunny!) and it was a perfect excuse to walk to the park at the end of our street and let him hang out with other kids.

When he wasn't busy running around chasing the girls, he was exploring the benches, firetrucks and sticks.  This boy has a love for sticks.



"A place to rest a tired body, a tired mind, a tired soul before getting up and going on the move again"
I thought the bench summed up my thoughts on motherhood very well at that moment.

After picking up each and every stick he could find, the little guy even took the time to hug a tree....because.....well.....I guess he thought that's what the moment called for......
 

until he realized that hugging trees hurt the sides of your head.

I ramble on and on to bring home the point that, in my not-so-humble opinion, I am the mom of a genuinely sweet and friendly kid.  We certainly have our moments (we're in a temper tantrum phase right now) but most of the time he's just plain awesome.

Fast forward to around 3:00 in the afternoon.  The little guy wanted to go outside and take a walk.  As we were passing by the elementary school, he saw lots and lots of kids leaving school.  Two boys in particular, probably in 4th or 5th grade, walked right past him.  The little guy looks up, puts his hand in the air, and with a smile on his face said "hi!"  The kids?  Well they just kept on walking.  I should have let it go.  I should have explained that they probably didn't hear him, but I didn't.  The over-protective mom in me came out with a vengeance.  The words that came out were "they are jerks, John.  People who don't respond to you when you say hello are jerks."

The second it came out I immediately wished I hadn't said it at all.  There went one teachable mommy moment right out the window.  Yikes.

The non-responding kids didn't seem to affect the little guy at all.  In fact, when he came home, he found another stick and was so proud of himself.
Look at this one, mom!
I'll be looking for my next teachable mommy moment, but for now, this mom's signing off.

Question of the Day:
Do you over-react in situations or are you more of a "roll with the punches" person?

Until next time!
~Anne Marie