Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Blank Canvas Chicken

Happy Wednesday!

Hope you are all having a fabulous day!

I'm super jealous of my hubby - he gets to be home with the little guy today. I get to be the lucky one tomorrow and stay with him, but still! The babysitter's hubby is in for surgery (nothing major) so she asked if she could have a few days off. Even though it's a downside of having the little guy in someone's home, I'm finding the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

When I came home for dinner last night, I was excited (who am I kidding - am I ever not excited for a meal?). Over the weekend I made some blank canvas chicken. The "recipe" goes something like this:

Take a whole bunch of chicken (bone-in or boneless) and place it in a crockpot. Combine 1/2 cup of water with a tsp each of pepper, salt and garlic powder. Poor over the chicken and cook on low for about 8-10 hours. The result is perfectly cooked chicken that you can do just about anything with.

This recipe works perfectly in our family because the little guy will only eat chicken certain ways (i.e. with pasta sauce but not with barbecue sauce). As an added bonus, you are left with tasty chicken stock if you throw onions, carrots and some celery in the crockpot. I wasn't thinking and didn't do this when I made it, but I'll definitley be saving it this weeekend when I make it again.

Last night the hubby and I decided we wanted chicken parmesan so we added some pasta sauce and cheese on top of our already cooked chicken. We added some rice and broccoli on the side and called it a meal.


It was delicious!

Question of the Day:
What's your favorite side dish?

Until next time!
~Anne Marie