Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Food for the Cold

I've been a bit spoiled with this weather lately.  It certainly hasn't felt like winter.....until today, that is!  The forecasters have been calling for snow.....only 0.9 of an inch, but it's snow nonetheless.  I don't know about you, but I'm more than happy not to have any snow. 

I used to love, love, love the snow when I was a kid.  Snow days were the best!!  Now that I actually have to drive in the stuff though, I can state that no snow = happy me. 

So, when you have the chance of snow on the horizon, what is there to eat?  Some black bean soup, of course!

This was my first time ever making black bean soup and it was a complete success! I will warn you, though - it's spicy! I love spicy foods and even this recipe made my nose run a few times!

Black Bean Soup

(adapted from a Weight Watchers recipe)

Ingredients:

cooking spray
1 medium onion chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 - 15oz cans black beans drained
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (for a bit of spice)
1 tsp ground cumin
16 oz chicken broth
15 oz can corn (drained)
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes - undrained (with green chilies or jalapeno peppers for more spice)

Directions:

1. Spray small frying pan with cooking spray to sauté onion and garlic (about 5 min).

2. Add the following to blender: 1 can black beans, sauteed onion and garlic,  red pepper flakes, and cumin. Cover and puree for 30 seconds or until smooth.

Pour mixture into pot.

3. Puree second can of beans and broth until smooth. Add to pot.

4. Add the following to the pot: third can of beans (do not puree), tomatoes, and corn.

5. Bring the soup to a boil. Lower to medium heat and allow the soup to simmer for 30 minutes.

1 cup = 3 points plus
1.5 cups = 4 points plus


This is exactly what I needed to bring some warmth into an otherwise chilly day.

Question of the Day:
What's your favorite kind of soup?

Until next time!
~Anne Marie