Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Cutting the Caff

Happy Wednesday! Hope your week is treating you well.

Lately I've been tired beyond belief. I chalked it up to working during the day and chasing a toddler at night but over the weekend, despite extra hours of sleep and naps during the day, I couldn't shake it. I was exhausted and I didn't like it one bit. I know I have a busy life, but that excuse wasn't going to cut it.

After much thinking, I thought I figured it out - I have been slowing adding more and more caffeine to my day. Little guy up early? Add another cup of coffee to my day. The last time I cut out caffeine was two years ago when I found out I was pregnant.   I never felt better.  I remember being tired from the general ups and downs of pregnancy, but it was natural and expected. 

I decided to test out my theory this week and see how I felt.  I started my day off with one cup of caffeinated coffee and drank decaf the rest of the time.  One word describes how I've been feeling - amazing.  I had my first "caffeine withdrawal" headache yesterday but other than that, my energy has resurfaced and *gasp* I can actually stay up until 9:30 before getting tired.  It doesn't sound like that big of a deal, but I was having a hard time keeping my eyes open at 8:00.  I'm getting old, I know!

So yeah, I'm going to continue this trend for a little while.  It's unbelievable how caffeine affects your system.

For dinner last night, I made some of Gina's Crock Pot Santa Fe Chicken.  The little guy wasn't a fan, but the hubby and I both enjoyed it.

My only gripe about this was that it was more soupy than I expected. I think the reason that happened was because I didn't drain the black beans. When a recipe doesn't say to whether or not to drain a can of something I usually don't. Lesson learned!

Question of the Day:
Are you a caffeine drinker?

Until next time!
~Anne Marie