Friday, January 27, 2012

The College Grad

Happy Friday! I'm off of work today because I'm headed off to somewhere special.......my youngest brother's college graduation.

For the first time in a long time, I'm at a loss for words. My baby brother is graduating college. Where did the time go? Wasn't it yesterday that he called me "Bee Bee" because he couldn't say my name the right way? (Some people still call me that nickname to this day).  Didn't we just open a "restaurant" for my mom complete with a banana and peanut butter appetizer on the menu? Gosh, time flies.

Despite the 6 year age difference between us, my younger brother and I almost always got along. We weren't ever into the same things (although there were a few rare instances where I could convince him to play Barbies with me) but for one reason or another we always seemed to work together. He'd look out for me when I was about to get in trouble (meaning he may have told a lie or two to get me out of trouble - sorry Mom!) and I would do arts and crafts with him while my Mom worked her part-time job for a few hours.

Go Temple Owls!
Even though he's 22, whenever I look at him, I still see that 6 year old boy who was into Thomas the Tank Engine, Fred Penner and the Frog and Toad books.
At Kevin's 21st Birthday
And yet, here we are....getting ready to watch him him graduate with a Bachelor's degree in Accounting.  Even better?  He's graduating as President of his Honor Society.
Down the shore
I'm incredibly proud of Kevin.  He's been through a lot in life but yet he always comes through it with a smile and a "no worries" attitude. 


Somehow, Kevin juggles being a wonderful brother, boyfriend, employee, Eucharistic Minister, and helper to my Mom without batting an eye.  He's not known to complain and takes everything with a grain of salt (compared to me and my older brother who are more of the spazz-tastic people in our family).


At Kevin's High School Graduation
 
Being installed as a Eucharistic Minister at Church



And, as if that wasn't enough, Kevin is a fantastic Godfather to the little guy.  For goodness sakes - he slept outside in the car overnight with my Mom waiting for the little guy to be born. 


At the hospital, the day the little guy was born

Excited much? (At the little guy's Baptism)




So today, Kevin, it's all about you.  Congratulations, Buddy.  May you continue to dream big, reach for the stars, and keep a good head on your shoulders.



P.S.  When you hear all of the loud cheering today, that would be me and your brother.  We'll try to make sure we out-scream everyone else. :)