Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Bringing Your Own Food

Thanks for all of the wonderful comments on Friday's post. The graduation went really well! It's still hard to believe that my brother is a college graduate.

Here are some pictures from the day:

Me, Mom, Kevin and Eric


Mom and Kevin right after the graduation ceremony
There were about 300 graduates, and the ceremony was over in less than two hours.  It was pretty impressive!

After the graduation, my mom had a party for my brother at her house.  I had convinced myself that I needed to bring my own food to the party for two reasons:

  1. I knew what my mom was having and I knew it would be very difficult to have a decent portion size of the stuff.  (Roast beef sandwiches, potato salad, fudge and yummy snacks anyone?)
  2. I wanted to weigh in on Saturday and not be disappointed that I overate the night before.  For some weird reason, if I overdo it on a Friday night, I'm prone to do the same thing on Saturday and Sunday.  I'm strange, I know!
I ended up bringing some couscous with veggies and I ate some of the broccoli salad that my mom made (it's one of my favorite foods ever!)

I left the party feeling good about myself and my choices.  That feeling of knowing that I didn't "pig out" around some of my favorite foods was pretty incredible.

So, what's cooking in my kitchen this week?  I'm still on my vegetable kick, so I made some roasted tomatoes with cheese.  To make these, you'll need:

  1. Three tomatoes
  2. Mozzarella cheese (I used a little more than an ounce)
  3. Parmesan cheese (just a sprinkle)
  4. Italian seasoning
Cut the tomatoes in half and place on a baking sheet lined with foil and sprayed with non stick cooking spray.  Next, top the tomato halves with mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese.  Sprinkle Italian seasoning on top and bake in a 450 degree oven for about 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese melts.  I like crispy melted cheese, so I let the tops brown a little bit.



If you are following Weight Watchers, 1 tomato is 1 PointsPlus. I've been using these to add to my salads for lunch. Delicious!

Question of the Day:
Have you ever brought your own food to a party?

Until next time!
~Anne Marie