Monday, December 12, 2011

A Case of the Croup

Happy Monday!

Wondering where I was for the last few days (or not?)  Thursday morning, the little guy woke up and started coughing.  It literally sounded like a seal was in his room.  This was it - one of the "mommy moments" I had been dreading every time he had a cough/cold.  It was croup.  Croup is characterized by a "barking" cough followed by difficulty breathing.  Many times babies with croup go to the hospital and have breathing treatments.  Thank God the little guy wasn't having a huge problem breathing, but I could tell that he was beginning to wheeze. 

I called the doctor's office immediately (at 5:00 a.m., mind you) and received a phone call back within a few minutes.  The on-call doctor said it sounded like the little guy had a mild case of croup and that if it got worse throughout the day to call back and make an appointment.  This psycho crazy momma wasn't taking chances, so when the office opened at 9:00 a.m., I called and scheduled an appointment for him.  Sure enough, he had croup and the doctor gave him medicine.  Typically kids aren't given medicine, but because I trusted my psycho-ness mother's instinct, he was able to get medicine.

Last night was the first night he slept in his crib without coughing.  His cough now sounds congested, but he's doing much better than he was on Thursday!

Being off for two days was a real treat.  I got to spend some quality time with the little guy as well as make some tasty treats. 

I received a coupon through the Foodbuzz Tastemaker's Program and Duncan Hines to try a can of Comstock Filling for free.  Am I the only one who could eat this stuff straight out of the can?


I had a box of Jello No-Bake Cheesecake and thought it would be the perfect complement. After the cheesecake set, I added the Comstock filling on top.


It tasted pretty flipping amazing, if I do say so myself.  Using this filling instead of the prepackaged stuff that you get with the Jello No-Bake mix upped the ante of the cheesecake.

Well, I'm off to catch up on some work since I was off for the last few days.  I hope you all enjoy your day!

Question of the Day:
What's your favorite type of pie?

Until next time!
~Anne Marie