Tuesday, November 8, 2011

New Recipe on a Crowd?

Happy Tuesday!! Thank you for all the sweet birthday wishes for my mom yesterday - I know she appreciated them!

Do you have food rules that you live by? One food rule I recently broke was this: never try out a new recipe on a crowd. If it goes wrong, you're pretty much screwed.

I semi-broke this rule over the weekend and boy did it feel good!! As I mentioned yesterday, I was in charge of making the lasagna for my mom's birthday dinner. What I hadn't told you was that I made the lasagna on Friday when the hubby was working and I was alone with the little guy. Along with the lasagna, I also made most of my meals for the week. With all of that cooking going on, I wanted to simplify my lasagna recipe.  Cooking is extremely challenging with only one parent at home!

After chatting with my friend Ron, he told me I didn't have to boil the lasagna noodles before I baked it - even without using the no boil noodles. I know he makes his lasagna this way but I was skeptical. I wasn't sure if I wanted to attempt it because if the dish didn't turn out, we wouldn't have anything else to fall back on.

I carefully weighed each alternative in my head, but in the end I decided to go for it. All I did was add in some extra tomato sauce gravy and increase the baking time from 35 minutes to one hour. (Side bar - it was also recommended to me to add two eggs to my ricotta cheese for extra fluffiness and oh boy was that awesome!)

After about an hour, I uncovered the lasagna and was left with this:


I tested the noodles with the fork and lo and behold they were soft. I continued to bake it uncovered for an additional ten minutes.

The verdict?

Everyone enjoyed it and kept saying how yummy it was. When I told my mom I didn't boil the noodles she was stunned!

I don't think I'll ever boil lasagna noodles again! Thanks so much for the tip, Ron!

Question of the Day:
Do you have any "food rules?"

Until next time!
~Anne Marie