Monday, October 3, 2011

Happy Birthday, John!

Today, my baby turns one years old. I have a hard time typing that because it seems like just yesterday, I was seeing him for the first time.


Everyone told me that time goes by quickly.....and you know what?  They were right.  I look back on this past year and remember what it was like was he was a newborn.  I could sit and stare at him for hours, watching the rise and fall of his tummy - just waiting for him to open his eyes, smile or yawn.  When he did any of those things, I was there with  my camera ready to capture it.

This is one of my favorites!
As he began to get older, I started to see bits and pieces of his personality.  I've been so blessed - John is such a happy, even-tempered baby.  He smiles A LOT (unless he's hungry - that's another story!) and he loves to cuddle. 

I smother him with kisses and he gives me this look like "really, mom?  are you done yet?"  I can't help it.  I'm experiencing a love I never thought was possible.


Now that John's mobile, his world is even more fun. He's able to crawl from one end of the room to another, climb to a standing position and make his way across the coffee table. His legs wobble a bit, but he's getting stronger and more confident. The littlest things he does are the biggest accomplishments to me. When he claps his hands, says a new word or brushes his hair when I tell him he's holding a brush, I'm incredibly proud of him. Each stage he enters is my "favorite" and just when I think I couldn't possibly love him any more, my heart opens even greater.


This past year has been nothing short of amazing. As I'm watching him transition from infant to more grown up infant (I can't bring myself to use the word toddler just yet!), I realize how precious this time is.

Doesn't he look so old?
Happy birthday, my dear, sweet John.  I love you more than you'll ever know!

Love,
Mom