Friday, October 28, 2011

Happy Birthday, Grandmom!

Happy Friday!

Is anyone else supposed to see snow this weekend? It's only October! What's up with that?

I have an exciting weekend coming up. Tomorrow's my grandmom's 84th birthday! We're all headed to her house on Sunday to celebrate her special day.

In honor of her birthday, today I'm taking this opportunity to tell you all about my fabulous grandom and how wonderul she is.

The first thing I should tell you is that my grandmom is a sewing genius.  Her father was a tailor, her mother was a seamstress and so my grandmom was always making things for me - she even made my junior prom dress in high school.  One of my favorite things she made for me was a Cabbage Patch doll.  When they first came out, Cabbage Patch dolls were super expensive, and my parents really couldn't afford to spend that much money on a doll.  My grandmom made me one - and I was the only kid on the block to have a doll that looked very similar to me.

When I was little, my grandmom used to let me play "hairdresser" and style her hair however I felt fit.  I had endless access to hairbrushes, hair curlers and everything in between.  When I was all finished, my grandmom would be quick to admire her new 'do in the mirror and tell me how beautiful she looked.


I fondly remember grandmom teaching me such songs as "Round ball, round ball" and "See-saw, knock at the door."  I'm not sure if those are the actual titles to the songs, but that's how I remember them.

When my older brother and I would go over for a visit, grandmom always had things to play with....whether it was her jump ropes made from old clothes lines or tennis balls that we could throw against the wall.  In fact, grandmom taught us a game she used to play as a child using tennis balls and a wall.  Essentially, you would throw the ball against the wall and before it came back to you, you had to do something like clap three times, turn around, etc.

Grandmom is an amazing cook.  She makes the best green spaghetti ever.  Every holiday we would eat green spaghetti and meatballs.  I actually have a hand-written recipe for green spaghetti that she wrote for me when I got married, and it remains one of my most treasured items. 

My Grandmom has a beautiful faith in God. Whenever I'm struggling with something, I know I can ask her to say a few prayers for me. I personally think she has an "in" with the Big Guy - He always seems to answer her prayers.

If there's one thing I've learned about my Grandmom it's that she loves spending time with her grandchildren (and now great grandchildren!) And you know what? We love spending time with her too.




Perhaps the neatest thing, however, is seeing my grandom interact with my son.  It's amazing to see the smile that crosses her face when she sees him.  I love watching the two of them in action.

Oh yeah - and one more thing? My grandmom has a silly side. I believe this picture remains my favorite one ever. It's pretty classic!


Happy 84th birthday, grandmom!! May you enjoy another beautiful, blessed year!

Question of the Day:
Anything fun going on for you this weekend?

Until next time!
~Anne Marie