Friday, September 16, 2011

If I Had Only Known.....

Happy Friday!

Last night, while I was food shopping, I got some not so great news about two people in my life. While I'm thankful that things could be a whole lot worse, the news also made me stop and think about life....about the person I used to be, the person I want to be, and the person I am right now. I said a little prayer for those two people and when I came outside, I was greeted with the most beautiful rainbow I've ever seen in my life. It's a shame I didn't have my camera on me but after searching for hours a few minutes on Google, I found something really close.

It looked very similar to this, minus the green landscape.  To me, the rainbow represented God saying that things will be okay and that He is in control, no matter how hard I try to take the control back from Him.

Source
When I got home, I kept thinking about the rainbow and having the thought "what would I tell my teenaged self if I could go back and revisit her?"  I decided to make some notes to my teenage self, and this is what I came up with:

1.  Learn to love yourself.  That extra weight you're carrying around?  You'll eventually lose it, and it won't define you anymore.  In fact, it should've never defined you in the first place.

2.  Life is short.  You'll see people your age pass away and you'll wonder why.  Instead of wondering, take the time to gossip less, hug tighter and laugh harder.

3.  That guy you used to spend all your time idolizing?  Knock it off.  Turns out he's gay and that won't work out anyway.

4.   Stop trying to please people.  It won't work and you'll frustrate yourself in the process.

5.  Be yourself.  Don't worry about what's trendy or what the popular crowd does.  Staying true to yourself is the best thing you can do.

6.  Enjoy life.  Stop stressing.  Take the time to make snow angels, roll down hills and enjoy the feeling of relaxation.  Your life is about to get super busy in the next few years.

7.  Sleep in.  You're gonna miss sleep by the time you're 28.

8.  Speak up.  Don't cower in the corner.  Stand firm in your convictions and do the right thing.

9.  Be present in each moment.  You'll want to remember most of the stuff that happened when you're older.

10. Spread love everywhere you go.

If I had only known then what I know now, those are the things I'd tell myself.  I don't think I'd ever want to revisit those teenage years though - some of them were rough!

Question of the Day:
What's one thing you would tell your teenaged self?

Until next time!
~Anne Marie