One of my co-workers is just as
I've had this recipe saved for a long time and I finally decided to give it a try. It makes a huge batch of goodness and it's incredibly easy to throw together.
Hearty Italian Sandwiches (7 Weight Watchers Points Plus (not including the roll))
2 lbs ground turkey
1 lb. ground beef
2 large onions, cubed
2 large green peppers, cubed
2 large sweet red peppers, cubed
3/8 tsp. garlic powder
3 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
Shredded Pepper Jack cheese
1. In skillet, cook turkey and beef until no longer pink
2. Place 1/3 of onions, green and red peppers into slow cooker
3. Top with half of cooked meat mixture
4. Sprinkle top of layer with 1/8 tsp. garlic powder & 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
5. Repeat layers (total of two meat layers, three veggie layers) leave some vegetables to top
6. In addition sprinkle the very last layer with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper.
7. Cover and cook on low of 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
Use a slotted spoon to scoop and serve about 1 cup of the slow cooked meat mix on to the rolls. Top each with cheese, if desired.
From what I was told, this tastes like a cheesesteak. I opted to use 3 lbs of extra lean ground turkey instead of the ground beef.
It.Was.Awesome! If you're in the mood for a healthier version of cheesesteaks, make this ASAP!
Question of the Day:
Are you a fan of cheesesteaks?
Until next time!