Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Filling Breakfast

I've heard over and over that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. When I was a teenager and trying to lose weight I used to skip breakfast thinking that it was the miracle cure to getting thin.  I would literally drink a cup of hot chocolate in the morning and wait until lunch to eat again.  Obviously that didn't work because by lunchtime I was starving and naturally I made up for the missed calories at breakfast.

Over the years, I've realized what works for breakfast and what doesn't. I've learned what foods will keep me satisfied and what foods won't hold me over for more than an hour.   One of my favorite breakfasts is oatmeal.  I eat oatmeal practically every single day because it keeps me satisfied from the time I eat it up until lunch.  When I was pregnant, however, I couldn't stand to eat oatmeal for the first few months.  Every time I looked at it, I wanted to gag!

After some trial and error, I found a breakfast that I could stomach and actually craved it for lunch and dinner too.

Peanut butter and banana on a toasted bagel

The combination of healthy fat, fruit and of course carbs was completely and utterly satisfying. I wish I could tell you that I ate this for breakfast this morning, but that would be a lie. This combo has been on my mind for a little while, so I think I'm going to have to repeat this breakfast some time in the near future.

Question of the Day:
What breakfast food fills you up until your next meal?

Until next time!
~Anne Marie