Tuesday, March 8, 2011

All or Nothing

Today is officially Fat Tuesday, which marks the day before Ash Wednesday.  According to custom, you are supposed to eat rich and fatty foods before the fasting season of Lent kicks in.  When I was younger, I thought every day was Fat Tuesday! haha.

Growing up, I had an all or nothing mentality.  When I would try to lose weight, I would eat salads for lunch and dinner, not give in to any cravings and try to restrict myself.  After many years of yo-yo dieting, I've realized that having an all or nothing mentality is a recipe for disaster.  I would become frustrated and eat a whole lot of junk because I wouldn't let myself have a treat now and then.

This mindset makes me annoyed at the concept of Fat Tuesday.  If you eat a balanced diet, there's no need to eat tons and tons of junk just because you are giving it up for a while.  Don't get me wrong, it's a fun 'holiday' and I'm not against celebrating, but thinking about the concept of Fat Tuesday made me reflect on some things!

Last night, the hubby and I dined on some chicken parmesan.  I could seriously eat this stuff every day.




Today my friend and I are going to get sushi.  I haven't had it in so long - I'm super excited!

Question of the Day:
Are you celebrating Fat Tuesday?

Until next time!
~Anne Marie

12 comments:

Erica said... Best Blogger Tips

I don't really celebrate- I'm with you...the best way is everything in moderation. A special treat on fat tuesday sounds like fun! But the thought of indulging all day makes my tummy hurt!

thehealthyapron said... Best Blogger Tips

I don't celebrate fat tuesday and maybe it is bc I've never given anything up for lent or maybe bc, just like this post, I hate the all or nothing mentality.

Fashion Meets Food said... Best Blogger Tips

The thought of indulging all day definitely makes my tummy hurt. I am all for a treat now and then, but I will not be stuffing my face today. Chicken parm is so good.... I cannot wait to go home maybe i`ll actually eat meat while I am there.

xo

fittingbackin said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm not celebrating and completely agree with you on the feast vs. famine! I prefer to just eat "normal" every day!

Biz said... Best Blogger Tips

Before I lost 70 pounds in 1999, I was an all or nothing person too - if I ate one "bad" thing, all bets were off and I would go WEEKS eating like shit before getting back on the band wagon.

I blame myself for gaining 30 pounds back since being put on insulin 4 years ago, but I am in a different mind frame - gone are the good and bad foods - I figure I eat well 90% of the time which is fine in my book!

Besides, life's too short not to eat cake every once in a while!

Nicole, RD said... Best Blogger Tips

I don't really celebrate Fat Tuesday, nope. And I don't exclude anything from my diet, even when trying to lose weight. While this might mean I lose a little slower, I am A-okay with this! It makes me a much healthier and happier person in the long run!

oliepants said... Best Blogger Tips

I don't usually celebrate Fat Tuesday but due to a lack of time for breakfast I did pick up some Chik-fil-A. Which I think should sustain me for right now! Although there is a slice of cake that I'm dying to devour at home! ;) Happy Fat Tuesday!

getting Fit said... Best Blogger Tips

Yahoo Fat Tuesday...I think that sounds like a great day lol!!!! ah man I think i am with Erica...I would probably POP!

Cheers!

One Healthy Apple said... Best Blogger Tips

Fat Tuesday is a fun concept (beads and cake!) but it's not something that I can make my reality. I also treated every day like Fat Tuesday and now I'm all about moderation. Even recently when I cut, cut, cut foods from my diet, it was no fun at all.

I bet naturally thin people don't act this way and just enjoy things they like in moderation.

Jennifer said... Best Blogger Tips

mmmmmm chicken parm! I could totally go for this right now! Tonights Fat Tuesday menu is.... NACHOS! hehe! with lots of beans and peppers to balance out all the cheese i'm about to eat! <3

xoXOxo
Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

Sweet and Savory said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm not celebrating Fat Tuesday, but I also mentioned it in my post today and posted about chicken parm! We must be thinking alike:)

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said... Best Blogger Tips

I don't even know what Fat Tuesday is! Never heard of this where I am.