Tuesday, September 28, 2010

One of the Benefits....

Since the doctor wants me to stay out of work from now until the baby gets here, I've been trying to keep myself busy so I don't drive myself too crazy! One of the benefits of staying at home is blogging at 7:00 in the morning and knowing that after this, I could take a nap if I wanted to.....hehe.

Last week, I asked the hubby to pick up some fruit from the grocery store. I had mentioned to him that I'm loving the Fall season because of spaghetti squash.....I think it's one of the best things about Fall!

Lo and behold, when I came home from work, the hubby had this sitting on the counter.


Yay for spaghetti squash!

I was first introduced to this when I was on Weight Watchers. It's a veggie that resembles spaghetti strands once cooked. Although it has more of a bite than spaghetti, it definitely gives the impression that you are eating spaghetti. It's such a good vegetable for you and it keeps you full for hours!

There are different ways you can make it, but I take the easy way and have cooked spaghetti squash in about 10 minutes. First, cut the squash in half length wise. When you cut it open, it should look like this.



Take one half of the squash and wrap it in saran wrap. Put some water on a dish and place the spaghetti squash seed side down on the plate. Pop it in the microwave for about 10 minutes, depending on the size of the squash.

Once it's done, make sure to let it cool for a bit......believe me, I've gotten hurt more than once trying to scrape out the spaghetti squash.

Next, scoop the seeds out with a spoon. After that's done, take your fork and run it down the length of the squash. You will start to see spaghetti-like strands coming from the squash.


See?
Put it in a bowl and top with your favorite sauce. I usually put marinara sauce on mine, but I've also used an alfredo sauce and I've heard of people putting butter and cinnamon on it. I haven't been tempted to try that combo yet though!

Yummy!
Question of the Day:
Do you like spaghetti squash? What's your favorite sauce to use with it?

Until next time!
~Anne Marie


4 comments:

Veggies, Cake & Cocktails said... Best Blogger Tips

Spaghetti squash is so good. I usually have it with tomato sauce but it's also good mixed with other veggies and tossed in some olive oil and garlic:)

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said... Best Blogger Tips

I really like spaghetti squash with Indian spices, or with tomato sauce and Parmesan cheese.

the actor's diet said... Best Blogger Tips

can't wait for it to cool down so i can start baking some spaghetti squash! i like it with parm and meatless meatballs.

Shannon said... Best Blogger Tips

I love spaghetti sqush! Yeah for fall!

You must be going nuts. I sure was and I got out early at 38 weeks. Anymore waiting would have driven me nuts! So glad he arrived early:)