Monday, August 16, 2010

A Taste of Grandmom's Kitchen

Happy Monday! I can't believe we are starting another week. Where is the time going?

My grandmom is a daily reader of the blog. (Hi, grandmom!) Last weekend, she was talking to me about my pasta and peas recipe and told me that she makes something similar with whole wheat shells instead of rotini pasta. When I told her that I've never seen whole wheat shells, she gave me this to try.


Using grandmom's suggestions, I made what I think is her version of pasta and peas.


I started by sauteeing an onion in a pan.




While that was going, I cooked the pasta and took out my leftover homemade gravy.


Once the onions were soft, I added them to the gravy and continued to let the flavors blend together.


Soon, the pasta was done!

I seriously need to find these in the store!

I combined the pasta, peas and gravy and came up with this...
Yummy! I loved the taste of the onions mixed in with the gravy.


Thanks for the tips and recipe, grandmom!

Question of the Day:
Whole wheat or white pasta....which do you prefer?

I'm a whole wheat girl all the way, even though I grew up on white pasta.

Until next time!
~Anne Marie

9 comments:

biz319 said... Best Blogger Tips

That looks really delicious! I prefer whole wheat, but my family kind of revolts when I make it.

Happy Monday!

Fashion Meets Food said... Best Blogger Tips

That looks absolutely delish! I eat whole wheat noodles all the time but have never seen the shells. I definitely need to try this out. I also need to practice making gravy I can NEVER ever get mine to thicken.

xo

Lindsey said... Best Blogger Tips

Yums that looks awesome! So where did the whole wheat pasta come from...I can only find it in certain stores - never the one I'm at when I'm looking for it!

Erica said... Best Blogger Tips

Gorgeous! And I love that your gma reads your blog...I don't think my gma knows what a blog is! I like both whole wheat and regular pasta equally. Its nice to switch back and forth

One Healthy Apple said... Best Blogger Tips

I almost never ate pasta as a kid- strange, I know! I do like whole wheat now. It tastes nuttier.

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said... Best Blogger Tips

I like the taste of white better, but I eat whole wheat a lot because it is healthier. I prefer spelt pasta to both white and brown.

fittingbackin said... Best Blogger Tips

Love the look of that pasta! I've honestly never tried whole wheat - i'm always with the white pasta!!

sophia said... Best Blogger Tips

I definitely prefer whole wheat pasta...not just for the fiber boost, but the nutty, grainy quality. It's just so much more interesting in texture and taste!

That's so cool that your grandma is a fan of your blog! :D

Anne Marie said... Best Blogger Tips

Lindsey-I think my uncle ordered it online. I've never seen it in stores either!