Monday, August 9, 2010

Mmmmm Gravy!

Happy Monday!

I hope you all had a fantastic weekend! Yesterday, my family and I celebrated my twin cousins' birthdays. I can't believe they are 24 already-where did the time go?

Growing up in a very Italian family, my mom made her homemade gravy (which some of you might refer to as marinara sauce) every other week. I remember coming home from school and smelling the sweet aroma of the tomatoes cooking on the stove. Fast forward a bunch of years....my mom still makes it every other week! I think both she and my grandmom make the best tasting gravy around. It always tastes fresh and delicious!

I've become so lazy in the kitchen that lately, I've resorted to jarred gravy (grandmom, please don't be upset! haha). I decided I have had enough and wanted to go back to my "roots" of making my own gravy.

Typically, I use crushed tomatoes, but Aldi's didn't have any, so I bought the next best thing-diced tomatoes, stewed tomatoes and some tomato sauce.

That's a lot of cans, no?

The basic recipe is to open the cans, pour contents in a pot, add a bunch of spices (garlic, oregano, basil, bay leaves, etc.) and let it simmer on the stove for a looooonnnnggggg time. The result?


Delicious gravy!

I added some sugar to mine to cut the tartness of the tomatoes. I've always liked my gravy to taste a little bit sweet.

I'm not used to chunky tomatoes in my gravy, so I took a bunch of it and put it in the blender for a smoother consistency. It worked like a charm.
One of the best parts about making your own gravy is the leftovers!

More for next time!

Question of the Day:
Do you make your own sauce or use the stuff in a jar?

Until next time!
~Anne Marie



10 comments:

Erica said... Best Blogger Tips

I've never made my own, but I really want to. I love marinara! I would have to use crushed tomatoes & a blender too- Josh is not a chunk guy ;)

Yum Yucky said... Best Blogger Tips

Whoa. that gravy looks fantastic. My husband makes homemade, but his tends to be too spicy and doctored. I like to taste more of the tomatoes. :)

Lindsay @ http://pancakesnpajamas.blogspot.com/ said... Best Blogger Tips

I'd actually only heard of it referred to marinara sauce until a few weeks ago. A coworker told me about "gravy." Perfect timing. My dad is Italian and he always makes his own sauce.

BusyB said... Best Blogger Tips

wish i had that nitch lol...my grandma had some good recipes....hers were all boxed lol!!!!

CHEErS!

Biz said... Best Blogger Tips

I have never liked chunky gravy either - I usually use a stick blender.

We make homemade pretty much once a week - especially this time of year when tomatoes are so cheap.

Here is our favorite though - we like to call it $27 gravy, because of all the meat in it, but it is scrumptious!


http://biz319.wordpress.com/2009/01/26/italian-sunday-gravy/

Tina said... Best Blogger Tips

Convenience usually always wins out for me. I hate to say it but it does. Homemade always tastes way better though.

Christina said... Best Blogger Tips

Yum, I love homemade marinara sauce! I usually buy jarred though - I'm too lazy most of the time!

Mom on the Run said... Best Blogger Tips

I have been making a lot of my own sauce because it is tomato season in my garden. I am also stocking up so when baby comes I will have some good food to whip out for the family.

the actor's diet said... Best Blogger Tips

when i cook for others, i try to make stuff from scratch but when i'm by myself it's all about the cans!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said... Best Blogger Tips

I love to make my own sauces, they are always so much better than store bought. Your gravy sounds delicious!