Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Helper in the Kitchen

Happy Tuesday!

Orientation for school started yesterday, so I've been busy, busy, busy getting the professors ready for classes. I miss the summer already, even though it's not even over yet!

On Sunday, the hubby and I were invited to a picnic. I offered to bring a dessert, so I opted for brownies because:

1) they are super easy to make
2) who doesn't like brownies?

My only issue with making brownies is cutting them. For the life of me, I can't cut them without them falling apart and looking scary. That's why I took a picture of them whole....I wanted to spare you the picture of torn up brownies.


Maybe I should've stuck to leaving it as one giant brownie. What do you think? haha

It was at that point that I decided I needed a helper in the kitchen.

Hello there, hubby!

Doesn't he look like he's concentrating super hard on getting the brownies not to flake up? Yeah, he didn't have much luck either. Does anyone know the secret to cutting brownies? I'd love to know!

Question of the Day:
How do you feel about helpers in the kitchen?

Sometimes I like it, but other times I'd rather do things without people in my way.

Until next time!
~Anne Marie

14 comments:

Fashion Meets Food said... Best Blogger Tips

Sometimes the boy will try to help me in the kitchen. He'll either back track and redo things I have done or stand behind me so I trip. He knows how to cook he just enjoys being in my way. I have never had a problem with my brownies flaking up. I cut them with a butter knife and wipe it off often and that usually does the trick for me.

xo

Christina said... Best Blogger Tips

Mmm I LOVE brownies! They look good to me!

Emily said... Best Blogger Tips

Oof, brownies are tough to cut. I think letting them cool all the way and using a super sharp knife helps. I really enjoy having my boyfriend help me in the kitchen, but I'm so particular about the way I do things sometimes I feel bad for correcting things like his chopping methods! I'd prefer it when he just cooks for me. Especially in our tiny kitchen.

One Healthy Apple said... Best Blogger Tips

Haha, sometimes I am food nazi and accidentally freaked out when my friend was cutting tomatoes the wrong way for my caprese salad! I'm still working on getting help!

fittingbackin said... Best Blogger Tips

Aw - he DOES look like he's concentrating really hard! hehe

All that's ever worked for me is waiting a long time for them to cool, and then using a super sharp blade that has been run under HOT water for about 60 seconds!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said... Best Blogger Tips

The hubby is the ONLY helper I want in the kitchen. Other people just get in my way :-)

BusyB said... Best Blogger Tips

lol! hubbys are awsome for helping with those kinds of things! lol!!! (and they secretly love it!)

Those look great! I always make No Pudge Fudge brownies : ) from trader joes....YUMMMM now i want some lol!!

happy tuesday!

the actor's diet said... Best Blogger Tips

i'm such a control freak in the kitchen - but i do like having an extra set of hands when i'm cooking for a crowd.

Yum Yucky said... Best Blogger Tips

Welp, I hate to cook, so multiple kitchen helpers is what I beg for. As for those brownies, I figure they're going to fall apart in my stomach anyways, so it's okay if they break in the pan. :)

biz319 said... Best Blogger Tips

I love when my daughter and husband help in the kitchen, it just sucks that my kitchen is like 9x9 feet - too tiny for me and my husband to stand in front of the stove!

But we have a small island of sorts, so I'll cut one one side while he's on the other.

Did you let your brownies completely cool before cutting?

If you did, heat up a serated knife (that you would use to cut bread) under hot water, wipe off the water and cut while the knife is still hot - hope that works next time!

Nicole, RD said... Best Blogger Tips

I can't cut brownies either! Glad I'm not the only one!

I'm kinda stingy in the kitchen...not gunna lie :)

Mom on the Run said... Best Blogger Tips

I just cut my brownies and let them roll...LOL. My philosophy is that they still taste good right.

I like having the kitchen to myself. It is my time to be in my own zone. So weird.

Lindsey said... Best Blogger Tips

I hear you on the brownies. I usually use the side of a plastic spatula. I do my more "cake-like" (three eggs instead of two) so it holds together better.: )

Lindsey said... Best Blogger Tips

Clarification - I said "side" but I meant the actual "bottom/flat part" of the spatula. Oy. Confusing.