Monday, July 19, 2010

Unplanned but Still Good

Sometimes things don't go as planned, but in the end, everything works out for the best. Such was the case this weekend when I wanted to make baked ziti. I had some ricotta cheese that was in need of using, so I thought baked ziti would be something easy, quick and filling.

I started boiling the pasta

I think I prefer rotini over penne. They hold onto the marinara sauce so much better!

When it was done, I went to the fridge to get the ricotta cheese and realized that there was a little bit of mold starting to form on it. I tossed it in the trash and finished up the pasta without adding it at all.


Yum!

I topped it with cheese and baked for about 10 minutes. Even though it was supposed to have ricotta cheese in it, it still turned out pretty awesome.



Question of the Day:
Have you ever had something unplanned happen when you cooked? What did you do about it?

Until next time!
~Anne Marie

7 comments:

Erica said... Best Blogger Tips

Nice job making it work! I've definitely run into this problem multiple times (something goes bad or I forgot something at the store). I usually just like to try and be creative with a sub! Happy Monday

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said... Best Blogger Tips

That kind of thing happens to me all the time! I either go without, substitute with something else like you did, or run to the grocery store that is a few minutes away from my home.

biz319 said... Best Blogger Tips

Love how the dish turned out!! There have been too many things that have not gone as planned that I don't even know where to start!

Although, my husband is the creative one if something doesn't work and it usually works out in the end!

Nicole, RD said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm always missing an ingredient I feel...and I just roll with the punches, too!

You guys love your pasta...I love that!

fittingbackin said... Best Blogger Tips

I HAVE - it usually happens that way, missing an ingredient but just going with it. It's how I updated my fried rice - I added minced ginger and sirachi because i was low on garlic and soy sauce and worried it would lack flavor without a sub. Now I don't make it without those ingredients!

megan said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm terrible at having unplanned things happen. If it's a dish I'm familiar with, I'm ok, but otherwise I send my husband to the store! I need to get more brave and flexible in the kitchen!

Fashion Meets Food said... Best Blogger Tips

fabulous job! Sounds delish!!!

xo