Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Mmmm Peppers!

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned on the blog before that my mom has a two week cooking schedule. At any given night, based on the week, I could tell you what my mom was having for dinner before she even cooked the meal. It worked out well for her, and it's something that I've somewhat carried with me into my life.

One of the meals that never made it into the rotation was stuffed peppers. Having stuffed peppers at my house was such a treat because it was outside the "normal" weekday meals. I had a craving for them this week and decided to put it on the menu. This recipe has meat in it, but you can certainly substitute beans for a vegetarian option.

I halved this recipe to make enough for 4 peppers. My mom's recipe calls for boiling the peppers for 5 minutes in water, but I skipped this step out of pure laziness.

I started by cutting the tops off of the peppers, taking out the seeds and putting them in an 8x8 dish sprayed with cooking spray.



Next, I browned 1/2 pound of extra lean ground turkey and onion in a pan until cooked. I also cut up some of the tops of the peppers and threw them in with the turkey and onion. Once everything is cooked through, add in 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1/4 cup brown rice and 1/4 cup of water. Cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the rice is cooked through. When all is said and done, it should look something like this.



Stir in 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese and start stuffing those peppers! Top the peppers with some more cheese and put in a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.



Out of the oven, they should look like this.
I love, love, love stuffed peppers! When I was a kid, my mom used to make extra filling and put it in the bottom of the dish. I could eat the filling straight up!
Question of the Day:
What's your favorite veggie to stuff?

Until next time!
~Anne Marie

5 comments:

biz319 said... Best Blogger Tips

I actually don't blanche my peppers either because I think they get too mushy otherwise. Yours look great!

I'd have to say either jalapeno poppers or chile rellenos are my favorite stuffed peppers - love the spice! :D

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said... Best Blogger Tips

I think that the only veggie I have ever stuffed is peppers ... but I have eaten stuffed mushrooms, jalapenos, and tomatoes. All are good!

Allison and grandmom said... Best Blogger Tips

yum-o!!

Fashion Meets Food said... Best Blogger Tips

Yum!!! Looks so good!

xo

the actor's diet said... Best Blogger Tips

though technically a fruit, i love stuffed tomatoes.