Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Seven Secrets....

Happy Wednesday! I was all set to write my blog post this morning, but when I checked my e-mail, my agenda shifted. My brother read my blog and typed up parts of an article in Consumer Reports this month. I thought this would benefit everyone, especially those on a budget or those who are looking to save a few dollars at the grocery store!

Thanks for taking the time to type this up, Eric!

Seven secrets of coupon pros.

First part talks about this woman Nancy who feeds a family of 4 for 10 bucks a week. She's a coupon pro that runs www.GeorgineSaves.com - a website that steer couponers to the best deals.

1.) Get organized. Store coupons in color-coded envelopes, a portable file with dividers, a tabbed binder, or a photo album.

2.) Collect a lot. Nab every coupon that you might use; don't limit yourself to those for products you need now. Look in the usual spots - the Sunday paper, coupon packs sent in the mail - but also check the manufacturer websites and giant coupon sites including www.Coupons.com, www.CoolSavings.com, and GrocerySmarts.com.

3.) Stack coupons. Stacking, a top strategy of coupon enthusiasts, means redeeming at least two coupons - one from the manufacturer and one from the store - on a single purchase. Manufacturers and grocery stores don't necessarily offer coupons for the same items at the same time. The trick is to hold onto manufacturers coupons until your store offers coupons for the same product.

4.) Be smart online. Set up a separate e-mail account for couponing. You have to register at most sites before you can print out coupons, and once you do you'll be bombarded with spam. Be selective about which online coupons you print, or you'll spend too much on ink and paper. Because manufacturers can discontinue online coupons at any time, print them close to when you intend to use them.

5.) Look beyond the supermarket. In 2009 about 1.2 billion coupons - a third of all redeemed - were for nonfood products such as paper goods, cleaning supplies, and personal-care items. You can often find deals on those products at big discount stores, drugstores, and even dollar stores, most of which accept coupons. Many drugstore chains distribute their own coupons, CVS has a strong coupon program tied to its loyalty card. Target distributes its own coupons.

6.) Get coupons for favorite brands. Use Facebook or Twitter to sign up with a favorite brand and receive coupons and offers not available elsewhere. Here's another way to find coupons for specific brands: Do an Internet search for the brand name and "coupons" or "discount coupons." When you find a good deal on a favorite, stock up.

7.) Stay on track. Don't use the cash you've saved to splurge on unnecessary extras. Instead, put it in a jar. Watching the savings grow can motivate you to keep clipping.

Other - clipping coupons in the store
While shopping, look for:

Blinkies, those small red boxes with blinking lights; or "pop-up boxes," which lack lights.
Tear pads, often near battery kiosks and the like, or on freezer doors.
Peelies, stuck on the product, which you hand to a clerk.
Wine tags, which may be slipped over the neck of any bottle, not just wine
Cataline coupons (created by Catalina Marketing) which print out with your receipt. Some Cats offer $5 or $10 off the next purchase of any store item.

Doesn't my brother rock? It was so cool of him to send this to me.

Today's cheap week suggestion is to stack up on free samples!! Over the weekend, the hubby and I tried another one of the Nature's Pride rolls that we received from Foodbuzz's Tastemaker Program.


The Country White Deli Rolls

Judging by the size of these guys, I think they'd make an excellent base for a hoagie.

Bigger than a hot dog bun - and much tastier too!

We ended up making scrambled egg sandwiches with the deli rolls. They were delish!! The soft, doughy texture was absolutely perfect. Another win in my book from Nature's Pride!


Question of the Day:
Do you use coupons?

Until next time!
~Anne Marie



9 comments:

Jessica said... Best Blogger Tips

I rarely use coupons. They just don't seem to come up in my life and I don't think of searching for them. I read my news online, so don't get coupon packs with the paper.

Erica said... Best Blogger Tips

I love coupons! I go through our circular every Wednesday and usually look on my favorite companies websites for deals as well. Great post. And the rolls sound tasty.

One Healthy Apple said... Best Blogger Tips

Great post! I use coupons when I can but I'm not as good about it as I can be. The way I see it, it's free money that we can all get! Thanks for the tips!

Lindsay @ http://pancakesnpajamas.blogspot.com/ said... Best Blogger Tips

Awesome tips! I started using coupons fairly recently and couldn't believe my savings!

Erin at thehealthyapron said... Best Blogger Tips

Thank you for this post! It's so inpsiring! I'm so bad about using coupons! I literally have a huge envelope full of them but seem it forget it everytime I head to the store! I need to kick myself in the butt with this! thanks!!

BusyB said... Best Blogger Tips

what $10 a week!!! (dont tell my husband...) thank you for the tips i dont use coupons much...but i think you sparked an intrest : )

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said... Best Blogger Tips

I never use coupons, although I should start ... it would probably save me some cash!!

the actor's diet said... Best Blogger Tips

oh yes i love coupons! i've been clipping them since i was a kid - one of my fave things to do on a sunday.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.