Friday, June 11, 2010

Beefaroni....Lightened Up

Happy Friday! I'm so excited that we're at the end of the week. I don't know about you, but I love looking forward to the weekend, and then somehow, the weekend flies by!

Since beginning Weight Watchers in 2006, something that I've learned about is substituting healthier foods for unhealthy foods without sacrificing taste. That's exactly what I did when I made a healthier version of beefaroni this week for dinner.

I cut up one onion and green pepper and threw it in a skillet with 1 lb of ground turkey. Once the turkey was cooked, I added 15 oz of marinara sauce.


Simmering away.

I cooked 8oz of whole wheat pasta and in the meantime, spread the meat/pepper/onion mixture in a 9x13 pan.



I topped the mixture with the cooked pasta and added a cup of shredded mozzarella cheese.



After it was done baking, it looked like this.
There you have it....healthier comfort food without sacrificing taste. Mission accomplished!
Question of the Day:
What are some changes you've made to recipes to make them healthier?
Until next time!
~Anne Marie

7 comments:

Erica said... Best Blogger Tips

Great job on lightening it up! I often sub turkey for beef in a lot of dishes for the husband. If I'm making something for both of us, I will use lentils/beans instead of meat. I also usually cut back on the amount of cheese and oils in recipes. Enjoy visiting the family this weekend

Christina said... Best Blogger Tips

I change applesauce for oil sometimes. I also like to cook with Pam instead of buttering a skillet.

Shannon said... Best Blogger Tips

Yum! I love casseroles because they can be made ahead of time and there are always leftovers :)

I use apple sauce and pumpkin a lot in baking instead of oil.

Jocelyn said... Best Blogger Tips

Yummy! That looks good!
In baking..I like to use applesauce or almond milk...usually lightens it up a little :)

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said... Best Blogger Tips

I have cut down on cheese or the oil/ fat recommended in recipes.

fittingbackin said... Best Blogger Tips

Yum, yum yum - love healthified recipes! I usually lighten up by switching to RF or FF ingredients or reducing more caloric toppings or ingredients!

Jessica said... Best Blogger Tips

That's a fantastic dish!
I would use ww noodles instead of white, ww bread crumbs, often skim milk cheese. I'd try use sweeteners like sucanant or agave in place of sugars, and when I bake I try use applesauce instead of oil, if it'll work with the recipe.