Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Baking Away

On most days of the week, the husband's breakfast consists of the following: cottage cheese with a banana and 3 cinnamon graham crackers mixed in, a muffin, fiber one bar and a glass of orange juice. How he stays so thin, I'll never ever know!
I don't mind buying muffins, but sometimes they can get really expensive, and, not to mention, they aren't the greatest for you. Even though the husband isn't watching his weight (and is one of the healthiest eaters that I know), I'd rather put homemade muffins on his plate than the store bought kind.
I food shopped at Aldi's last week and came across this gem of an item.

All purpose baking mix.
I immediately grabbed the box and put it in my cart. For $1.79, I realized I could make tons and tons of muffins that have got to be better for him than the store bought kind. Even though it took some extra time to whip these up, it was definitely worth the effort.
I also bought some frozen blueberries to add to the muffins.
I could eat them right out of the bag!
I mixed all of the ingredients together and then folded in the blueberries.
The mixture started to turn purple shortly after this shot.

The box said that it made 6 muffins, but I easily got 7 muffins out of the mix. Had I been making these for myself, I would've made smaller muffins and filled the entire tin.

See what I mean? Look how filled up they are!
The house smelled so amazing for the 20 minutes that they were in the oven.
Yum!
The husband tried one as soon as it cooled down and said that he loved them.
Score one for me! I don't know if I'll ever be buying the store bought muffins again. These were way too simple to make!
Question of the Day:
Do you eat muffins? What's your favorite kind?
Until next time!
~Anne Marie

12 comments:

Jessica said... Best Blogger Tips

Beautiful muffins. I confess, a chocolate muffin would be my favourite! I do love a blueberry or cranberry muffin too.

Erica said... Best Blogger Tips

haha its a muffin kind of week ;) I love homemaking muffins. Its soothing ;) Hmmmmmmmm my favorite muffin? Corn!

Lindsay @ http://pancakesnpajamas.blogspot.com/ said... Best Blogger Tips

Aren't homemade muffins the best? P has been begging for some so I think I'll surprise him with a batch to eat the rest of the week. Who am I kidding..you know I'll be eating them too!!!

hilary said... Best Blogger Tips

you should make more videos.. i miss seeing your beautiful face!:)

biz319 said... Best Blogger Tips

Those turned out delicious! I don't make muffins very often, but when I do . . . lemon poppy seed - best muffin ever!

Okay, now I want to make muffins!

Nicole, RD said... Best Blogger Tips

They look wonderful! My hubby is the SAME way...eats a ton (not so healthy, however), and doesn't gain an ounce! Gel-us!

I love muffins, but I only eat ones I make that I know are healthy. I know the ones from restaurants (coughcough STARBUCKS coughcough) are HORRIBLE!

Shannon said... Best Blogger Tips

There is nothing like a good blueberry muffin! I just bought 3 pints of blueberries...maybe I should make some too :)

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said... Best Blogger Tips

I like muffins ... depending on how moist they are. I like chocolate chip, lemon poppy seed, and carrot best!

fittingbackin said... Best Blogger Tips

Those look great! I've never been a muffin girl - odd! And i'm allergic to blueberries - my ONLY food allergen - they look so good though which is annoying!

Mari said... Best Blogger Tips

I love LOVE making muffins! Especially my Chocolate and Banana Protein Muffins with chocolate chips.

Fashion Meets Food said... Best Blogger Tips

I am just really getting into eating blueberries and absolutely loving them! I must make blueberry muffins! yum! Yours look too good!

xo

Simply Life said... Best Blogger Tips

the muffins look great! I love bran muffins with fruit (apples, cranberries, etc).