Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I'll Take it To Go!

Here we are at the middle of another week. Wednesdays have always been one of my favorite days of the week. There's something about knowing that I'm halfway through the work week that makes me happy.

Today I want to talk about restaurant portions. On Saturday, I went to my best friend's bachelorette party. We went to see Rent at a local theater and then headed on over to Stephen's on State for dinner. I had never been to Stephen's but the menu looked so good!

I ended up ordering the Stuffed Eggplant, which came with two eggplants filled with ricotta cheese and peppers and a side of pasta. Normally, I would've eaten the entire meal, but after I heard one of the other girls at the table ask for a to-go box, I knew that it would be the better option. I was definitely too full to eat the second eggplant and the rest of the pasta, but I was mentally hungry....if that makes any sense!

I decided to get a to-go box and give the rest to my hubby who had just gotten home from work.


Pretty decent leftovers, huh?

Turns out that I was easily able to get a full meal for the both of us from the one meal I had ordered.



The inside of the eggplant.

I think the husband enjoyed this almost as much as I did. Although getting a to-go box is something I rarely do, I'd like to make it more of a habit. I hate leaving restaurants stuffed to the gills.

Question of the Day:
How do you handle restaurants? Do you eat until you can't breathe or do you get a to-go box right away?

Until next time!
~Anne Marie

11 comments:

Sweet and Savory said... Best Blogger Tips

As for restaurants, I usually take a to go box home as well...try not to overally stuff myself! But..we rarely go out to eat anymore so when we do I get super excited!

Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com said... Best Blogger Tips

Such a great move! I know, restaurants tend to give you really big portions and stopping when you're satisfied can be really hard even when you're full. I think to-go boxes are the way to go.
Have a lovely day!

Lindsay @ http://pancakesnpajamas.blogspot.com/ said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm terrible about eating everything on my plate, but I'm really working on only eating half. I need to try boxing up half immediately so I don't have the opportunity to pick at the rest!

Mari said... Best Blogger Tips

I love taking things to go and enjoying the left overs at home...

that eggplant looks so good!

fittingbackin said... Best Blogger Tips

Nice job on repurposing your one meal!! I'm big on leftovers - just box up half. I know it can seem lame but it works for me. If i'm at a buffet I just try to serve myself what seems like a normal portion (1 spoon ful of carb; meat the size of a deck of cards; lot of greens) and cross my fingers!

Tina said... Best Blogger Tips

When I go to restaurants I either order a meal I know is a smaller portion or I make sure to have some leftover to bring home. I don't like eating to uncomfort (although I know I used to) and now I eat enough to feel satisfied no matter how much is left on the plate. It's tough though sometimes. Especially when it is one of my favorites!

Christina said... Best Blogger Tips

I know what it feels like to be mentally hungry! I try not to wipe my plate clean at restaurants but I don't usually ask for a box until the end.

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said... Best Blogger Tips

I usually eat a bit more than I would at home, and then pack up the rest if there is any left. It all depends on the portion that is served.

lynn @ the actors diet said... Best Blogger Tips

i usually have a bigger portion than usual, between the bread and the meal but when i start to feel pretty full i stop and get it to go. or sometimes if there's a good dessert i'll portion it out so that i have room.

Shannon said... Best Blogger Tips

I eat out very, very rarely, so I'm guilty of overindulging. If I ate out more often, I would definitely ask for a to-go box because I will always be tempted to clean my plate.

Jessica said... Best Blogger Tips

That's a huge leftover portion! I usually eat way too much at a restaurant! Appetizers are usually part of the meal and I leave feeling stuffed.