Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Fresh vs. Frozen

I don't know about you, but I am a sucker for frozen veggies, especially during the week. Even though I love fresh vegetables, sometimes the process of chopping, sauteing, etc. takes too much time. The choice then becomes do I go for the frozen veggies or have no veggies at all?
I know that frozen vegetables are better for you than the canned ones, but sometimes I feel like I should be getting more fresh produce in my diet.

Frozen bell pepper strips - aren't they so pretty?

Admittedly, when I do have the time, I prefer the fresh over the frozen, especially if I am making fajitas or something like that. There's something about taking the time to prepare a meal that I truly enjoy.

The lighting is off in this pic, but it's red peppers and onions sauteing in a pan.
Question of the Day:
Which do you prefer - frozen or fresh?
Until next time!
~Anne Marie

12 comments:

Fashion Meets Food said... Best Blogger Tips

I prefer fresh most of the time except in stir fries and such I always use frozen.

xo

Meredith (Pursuing Balance) said... Best Blogger Tips

I definitely prefer fresh to frozen, but frozen veggies are really so great when you're trying to put a quick meal together! I think usually if I'm sauteeing veggies I end up with a combination of both frozen and fresh.

Shannon said... Best Blogger Tips

I love frozen veggies for their convenience. And I love that the freezing process traps in hose nutrients. But I do love fresh veggies. Unfortunately, I have to be very strategic because my husband is not a big fan, so I have to make sure I am going to be able to eat what I buy!

Tina said... Best Blogger Tips

I do frozen veggies at times too. Like you said, it is usually when I'm short on time...or when they don't have good looking fresh produce for some reason at the store. I hate when that happens. Frozen is better than no veggies in my mind! Plus they can be good for a budget.

Lindsay @ http://pancakesnpajamas.blogspot.com/ said... Best Blogger Tips

I prefer fresh, but I do rely on frozed a lot. I have a terrible habbit of letting my freshies go bad.

biz319 said... Best Blogger Tips

I guess the only frozen veggies I buy on a regular basis are frozen peas and possibly frozen spinach. Otherwise I am a fresh produce all the way - luckily I have a local store that has CHEAP produce! :D

fittingbackin said... Best Blogger Tips

I prefer fresh! I'll do frozen broccoli but that's about it - eek! I also do canned corn and green beans!

Christina said... Best Blogger Tips

I've never seen frozen peppers! I really like frozen veggies. I've heard that they're just as nutritious as fresh. I agree though that fresh just seems to taste better but they're much less convenient!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said... Best Blogger Tips

I prefer fresh for the taste, but I love how convenient the frozen veggies and fruits are.

lynn @ the actors diet said... Best Blogger Tips

i prefer fresh, but i buy a lot of frozen for a few reasons:

1. cheaper to buy organic
2. won't rot in my fridge
3. pre-cut/prepped

so i usually do the frozen thing for myself but i would never serve it to others.

Jessica said... Best Blogger Tips

I prefer fresh, and rarely buy frozen. I eat more frozen in the winter when the produce is leftover fromt he garden. I should give frozen veggies more credit.

Nicole, RD said... Best Blogger Tips

I eat more fresh, but that's probably because my husband purchases way too many frozen pizzas at a time and hogs the freezer space! I think frozen veggies are great and I would love to save the time many nights!!