Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Makin' it Healthier

Happy Wednesday! It's so nice to finally be wearing a light jacket and not feel cold. I could really get used to this weather!

As many of you know, I struggled (and sometimes still struggle) with weight my entire life. After embarking on my Weight Watchers journey four years ago, I've learned many things. I think the number one tip that I took from my meetings was to make unhealthy foods that I used to love healthier.

One of my favorite dishes at a bar-b-que is pasta salad. It doesn't matter how it's made, if there's pasta, I'm all over it. I've found a way to make this yummy dish waist friendly without sacrificing taste.

I cooked and drained a box of whole wheat pasta. To that, I added broccoli, onion, a can of diced tomatoes (drained) and some garlic. It probably could've used more veggies, like carrots or squash, but I had to use what was on hand.

Instead of using mayo as the dressing, I used some fat free Italian dressing.

The result?

This yummy concoction.

I think I'll be using this idea as a base when it's my turn to bring the pasta salad. How can you go wrong with all of these veggies?



The best part was the taste. I felt like I was getting a delicious pasta salad without all the extra calories and fat.

Question of the Day:
How do you make your dishes healthier?

Until next time!

~Anne Marie

12 comments:

Christina said... Best Blogger Tips

I love Italian dressing. It tastes good on everything!

Lately I've been playing around with alternative sweeteners like agave nectar in my baked goods instead of using sugar to healthify them.

Mom on the Run said... Best Blogger Tips

I like taking the challenge of healthifying my favorite foods. I think my favorite is PF Chang's swaps. I love there dishes.

Mari said... Best Blogger Tips

That dish looks so refreshing!

Veggies 'n' Cake said... Best Blogger Tips

This is how I make my pasta salad as well. Sometimes I like to add a little balsamic vinegar to the mix. I also will add cucumbers and olives!

So good!

One Healthy Apple said... Best Blogger Tips

Ah- the weight struggle. I'm right there with ya!

I make things healthier by substituting applesauce in baked goods, use veggie broth to sautee veggies before I add oil, broil or bake things instead of frying, go heaving on the herbs and spices to add flavor, and bulking things up with extra veggies.

biz319 said... Best Blogger Tips

Okay, that just looks like summer on a plate! Yum!

Whenever anything calls for butter or oil, I always see how little I can use to get good results - you don't need so much sometimes!

Ana said... Best Blogger Tips

I love pasta salads!! Yours sure looks yummy :) To make dishes healthier I try to add loads of veggies and use whole wheat ingredients, and use healthier substitutes.

fittingbackin said... Best Blogger Tips

ooh that's a lot of veggies in that pasta - love it!

I usually cut down the cheese first, switch to low-fat or fat-free alternatives and up the spices to compensate!!

Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com said... Best Blogger Tips

I totally agree that a huge part of my weight loss was made easier by creating my own healthy versions of things. My favorite is probably homemade buffalo chicken pizza. It's unbelievable.
And I love your pasta salad!!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said... Best Blogger Tips

I use low fat products a lot in baking etc. and often make my own dressings instead of buying store bought ones.

THE ACTORS DIET said... Best Blogger Tips

haven't had pasta salad in forever! i used to buy the prepackaged versions when i was in high school....

Gina said... Best Blogger Tips

yay! i remember when i sent u the recipe last year and i'm so happy u remembered it and liked it!!!