Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Cheater's Pasta

Good morning! I remembered my camera today - woo hoo! I should probably be posting this recipe on Friday as part of my Lenten pasta bake series, but I have an awesome cake recipe to share with you on that day, so the pasta bake gets bumped to today.

Since I found out that I'm pregnant, the husband has taken over the food shopping. He says it's because it's one less thing that I have to do, but I think it's because he gets nervous if I lift a gallon of milk or orange juice. It's very sweet, and I do appreciate it, but I keep promising him that I won't get hurt by lifting those things!

The hubby has been learning what I mean when I put certain things on my list. For example, ff cheese = fat free cheese. I know that other foodies would get that right away, but sometimes others take a little bit longer to get it.

I didn't want to have the hubby search up and down the store for fat free ricotta cheese this week, so I thought it would be interesting to try making baked ziti without the ricotta cheese. I suppose that wouldn't make it baked ziti then, and more like a baked pasta.

I cooked my pasta and added some extra marinara sauce to compensate for the lack of ricotta cheese.



Next up was my favorite part-adding the mozzarella!



Baked in the oven for 10 minutes and was presented with:


Cheesy, yummy pasta!

To be honest, I don't miss the ricotta cheese at all. This was perfect just the way it was!

Question of the Day:
When it comes to pasta, do you prefer the long or short noodles?

I love the short noodles, but actually prefer the long. There's something about twirling them with a fork and spoon that I absolutely love.

Until next time!
~Anne Marie

8 comments:

Kenzie @ A Healthy Purpose said... Best Blogger Tips

ooh so cheesy!

I like long noodles--I feel more sophisticated! haha

Lauren @ Eater Not a Runner said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm a long noodle fan for sure!

biz319 said... Best Blogger Tips

I must have missed about you being pregnant - congrats!!

Very nice of hubby to do the shopping. My husband, although Italian, does not particularly like ricotta cheese, so I sub in small curd cottage cheese and it works great!

Happy Wednesday!!

I love long noodles :D

Kristen @ Change of Pace said... Best Blogger Tips

Yum! Gosh I wish my husband would do sweet things like that! He thinks I'm tougher than I am apparently :)

I always use 2% cottage cheese instead of ricotta with my pasta dishes. It tastes pretty much the same but healthier :)

fittingbackin said... Best Blogger Tips

Aww I know what you mean! Austin is still learning FF, RF, etc. :)

I like long noodles for things like chicken parmesan, but short noodles for "noodle bowls". I also think short noodles reheat better!

Emily said... Best Blogger Tips

I love baked ziti!! It's such an easy go-to recipe that is AMAZING!!

Fashion Meets Food said... Best Blogger Tips

Dang girly that looks so good! So cheesy and amazing looking!

xo

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said... Best Blogger Tips

I love both ... depends on the kind of sauce. Typically I eat the long noodles, but I love a good pasta shell with cheese or penne with a cream sauce or pesto.