Monday, February 22, 2010

Turned into a Baker in Two Seconds Flat!

Hello everyone! How was your weekend? My nephew's party was so much fun! I can't believe he's already a year old. It's amazing how much time flies. It seems like just yesterday I was meeting him for the first time in the hospital. It's insane!

Yesterday, my husband and I went to his family's house to celebrate his sister's birthday. I should take the opportunity to mention that it was also my brother's birthday yesterday (happy birthday, Eric!), but we're not celebrating it until two weeks from now.

Anyway....

I wanted to make something quick and easy, and turned to an old favorite that my mom introduced me to a few years ago.

Krusteaz crumb cake - and easy to make!
The only ingredients you need are one egg and 2/3 cup of water. That's it! Now, I should warn you that it's not the healthiest option, but if you're looking for something quick and tasty (or that occasional treat), I'd give it a try.
The mix comes in two packages - the crumb topping and the cake mix. First, I added water to the cake mix until it looked like this:

I would be doing a complete disservice if I didn't show you a picture of the crumbs too :)


I sprayed a 9x9 pan (although it called for an 8x8), and started layering the cake mixture and the crumbs.


After the second layer, you are supposed to swirl the crumbs and batter together. I wasn't so good at that.

See what I mean?

Finally, bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the center is cooked through. When it comes out of the oven, you are greeted with some pretty amazing crumb cake.



Last week, I promised that I'd start cutting my casseroles and things of that nature to give you a peek inside, but I couldn't do that with this cake-it was going to my mother-in-laws in one piece. I assure you though, it tasted amazing!


Question of the Day:
Are you a fan of crumb cake? If not, what's your favorite type of sweet bread?


Until next time!
~Anne Marie

17 comments:

Erica said... Best Blogger Tips

WOW! This looks like a super yummy box mix. So sweet of you to bake with your bro. My favorite sweet bread is my cinnamon sweet bread=amazingness. A great special treat

eaternotarunner said... Best Blogger Tips

I like blueberry coffee cake...yum!

biz319 said... Best Blogger Tips

I love Krusteaz! They used to have an oak pancake mix that was out of this world - but they discontinued it :(

Crumb cake - definitely insulin worthy!!

One Healthy Apple said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm not familiar with crumb cake at all, but crumbs are the best part sometimes! I love anything sweet though, so I'm sure I would love this!

Veggies 'n' Cake said... Best Blogger Tips

That cake looks really good. I bet it would be awesome along with some coffee!

Ana said... Best Blogger Tips

The Crumb Bread looks really goOod. I am such a fan of any type of sweet bread! But right now I am loving the Banana Walnut Bread my boyfriend's mom made :)

Ana said... Best Blogger Tips
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tania @ Moment Anew said... Best Blogger Tips

OMG look at you! That looks wonderful! :)

Josh said... Best Blogger Tips

I love Krusteaz products. Crumb cake looks delicious

Josh said... Best Blogger Tips

I love Krusteaz products. Crumb cake looks delicious

fittingbackin said... Best Blogger Tips

I've never had a crumb cake! I think it's so pretty though - it looks sweet and crispy!

Fashion Meets Food said... Best Blogger Tips

I have been wanting to try that crumb cake forever! It looks absolutely divine! I just found your blog and love it!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said... Best Blogger Tips

I don't know if I have ever had crumb cake - but it looks SO good!!!

THE ACTORS DIET said... Best Blogger Tips

i just love crumbs. someone should manufacture just the crumbs.

Dawn Dishes It Out said... Best Blogger Tips

That looks great!!! Not to shabby for boxed!

Mari said... Best Blogger Tips

I loooove crumb cake and I love quick and easy even more! lol

Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com said... Best Blogger Tips

That crumb cake looks so so good! I love coffee cakes and banana bread and zucchini bread and ...oh I could go on and on. Baked sweet breads are a passion of mine! Have a wonderful night!