Wednesday, February 17, 2010

That Lenten Season

Happy Wednesday!

Today begins the first day of Lent for me. That means no meat today and every Friday during Lent. While it's much easier to prepare a casserole with ground turkey and eat that for three times during the week, I kinda like the challenge of going meat free for at least one day out of the week. I definitely have the option of making fish, but, like I've mentioned in the past, it's not something that I can make ahead of time, which poses a problem on the weeknights.

During these 40 days, I usually give something up. This year, I'm really late with figuring out what I want to give up for Lent, but I better get on that fast!

Even though I've made this before, I wanted to share the recipe with you again:

Quick Italian Spinach Pie


Of course, I made some modifications - I used fat free cottage cheese and an entire green pepper.


Mixed up and ready to go.

One thing I strongly suggest is that you fully drain your spinach. I tried to "short cut" it, but it just made it watery. It still tastes the same, but I could definitely do without the added water on top.



Right out of the oven.

This is actually one of my favorite no-meat dishes (except for pasta, of course!) There's just something rich about this meal. It really tastes like there's butter in it - which I assume comes from the creaminess of the cottage cheese.

Question of the Day:
What's your favorite non-meat dish?

Until next time!
~Anne Marie

13 comments:

Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com said... Best Blogger Tips

That spinach pie looks delicious! I love cottage cheese, so I'll try it!
I just wrote on my blog about how instead of giving something up, I'd like to add things that I love to my life. Not quite traditional, but something I'm excited about. Have a great day!!

Mari said... Best Blogger Tips

Yums that looks so good! I am saying bye bye to meat and protein cookie dough this year! ((((GASP))))

Christina said... Best Blogger Tips

Mmm I'm definitely going to try that spinach pie! It looks delicious :)

Nicole, RD said... Best Blogger Tips

That spinach pie looks wonderful! I made that barley bake with zucchini recently and that was excellent!

One Healthy Apple said... Best Blogger Tips

I would love to make the spinach pie. I love roated veggies, marinated tempeh, salads, burritos- almost anything can be made veggie!

Veggies 'n' Cake said... Best Blogger Tips

My favorite non-meat dish has to be pasta with marinara sauce. I LOVE pasta!

fittingbackin said... Best Blogger Tips

I have very few non-meat dishes - eek ! This looks great though! I think there is one pasta I make that doesn't call for chicken, but I add it in - it's a creamy sundried tomato pasta with tomatoes, milk fage 0%, etc. Yum!

Nutritious Foodie said... Best Blogger Tips

Sounds very yummy!

Kristen @ Change of Pace said... Best Blogger Tips

That looks delicious! It almost looks like spinach artichoke dip... You could probably add artichokes too... :)

Julie @ Pickley Pear said... Best Blogger Tips

I've realized in the past month that not eating meat does not bother me at all! I think I'd have to say my favorite non-meat meal is bean tacos with lots of veggies and greek yogurt and avocado. Your spinach pie looks great!

Bec said... Best Blogger Tips

wow the pie looks super good, I am going to pass this recipe on to my sister who is a vegetarian.

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said... Best Blogger Tips

I don't miss meat at all when it isn't in my food. I love, love, love veggie pizza!!

Mom on the Run said... Best Blogger Tips

This looks really great! I love all the meat free recipes that I can get during lent. You can only have fish for so many days of the week.