Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I Have an Obsession

I'm sure you've probably noticed it, but I have a not-so-minor obsession with pasta. Believe it or not, a pasta dish that I've never made myself is lasagna. Well, folks, that all changed over the weekend.

Growing up, my mom always boiled the lasagna noodles and then started the process of laying the ingredients. I always thought that handling the noodles and boiling them before you get down into the main part of making lasagna was way too much work. What can I tell ya, I'm lazy sometimes.

I was super excited when the hubby and I were food shopping and found these:


Ronzoni oven ready lasagna-that's right-no boiling required!

My only gripe with these was that they came in an 8oz package, whereas the traditional lasagna noodles came in 16oz. This meant that I had to buy two boxes. I have to admit that the convenience was definitely worth the price.

I started out with a layer of gravy (or marinara sauce, if you prefer!)



Next up, add three layers of the noodles.



Follow that up by a layer of fat free ricotta cheese and some mozzarella cheese.


I think I over-cheesed this layer!

I repeated this step a few times until I had something like this.




I baked it for about 40 minutes.


Out of the oven.

It tasted completely amazing. It was very cheesy, and there was a ton of gravy, which is always something I appreciate on pasta!

I put the lasagna in the fridge to cool off. After all, we weren't eating it until Monday night. After it was cooled, I sliced it and took a picture.




You can't quite see the cheesiness, but look at those layers!

Question of the Day:
What's your favorite kind of pasta?

Until next time!
~Anne Marie

14 comments:

Erica said... Best Blogger Tips

Hey girl! I really love orzo pasta. No bake noodles? I always boil mine. Does it taste any different?

eaternotarunner said... Best Blogger Tips

No bake noodles are the BEST invention, I can never tell the difference!

Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com said... Best Blogger Tips

OH MY GOD your lasagna looks absolutely perfect!! I would like you to send me a slice!
I think my favorite pasta is either cavatelli or linguine. Mmmmm
Have a wonderful Tuesday!

Anne Marie said... Best Blogger Tips

Erica-I can't tell the difference at all!
Thanks, Andrea!!

Samantha~ said... Best Blogger Tips

The BF and I always love to eat the Butoni Stuffed pasta. He eats it a lot simply because its easy and tastes better than a protein shake (which is what he normally has when I'm not home to cook!)

biz319 said... Best Blogger Tips

That turned out really good! I think most lasagna noodles don't have to be boiled, even if the package says you have to - you just have to make sure you cover them really good with gravy :D and then bake it a bit longer.

I also sneak baby spinach and sometimes cooked spaghetti squash for some more veggies too.

I actually am liking Ronzoni's new whole wheat white pasta - shhh, since it's white my husband doesn't know its whole wheat!

Mari said... Best Blogger Tips

OMG I want a piece of that lasagna right NOW!

Mary, CookEatShare Author Support said... Best Blogger Tips

I’d like to personally invite you to join the CookEatShare Author network. CookEatShare has had over 2.5 million unique visitors in 2009, and I think they will be interested in your content. Users will be guided to your actual blog, so this is a free way to increase page views and visitors to your site.

Please visit http://cookeatshare.com/blogs/apply for additional information. Please contact me at mary@cookeatshare.com if you have any questions about the program.

One Healthy Apple said... Best Blogger Tips

I always buy the no boil noodles at Trader Joes! I might make some lasagna since I have all the ingredients at home!

I love soba noodles or buckwheat noodles!

Is that really gravy?

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said... Best Blogger Tips

Pasta is my favourite thing ever!! I love a garlicky Alfredo sauce or spaghetti and meatballs. I love to make lasagna - it is fun!!

Dawn (Healthysdliving) said... Best Blogger Tips

I love baked ziti...absolutel favorite thing to eat!

Christina said... Best Blogger Tips

Those noodles are great! I use them over the boil kind too.

I love pasta too. It's the the quickest, easiest, cheapest meal to make and you can make it a million different ways. I seriously think I could eat it every day! My favorites are penne alla vodka and pumpkin ravioli :)

megan said... Best Blogger Tips

i never use no bake noodles, but i have no idea why! You've convinced me that they're worthwhile :)

Anne Marie said... Best Blogger Tips

One Healthy Apple-I call all marinara or pasta sauce gravy. It's an Italian thing!