Monday, January 25, 2010

There's Something About Pasta

Happy Monday! How is it that it's 60 degrees outside and pouring rain when just last week, it was literally freezing outside? From what I understand, there's even a chance of snow this weekend. Here's to crossing my fingers that we are done with the snow (at least for the next few weeks)!

Growing up in an Italian family, we ate (and still eat) a lot of pasta. I mean really, what's not to like? It's comfort food to the max. At my mom's house, I always ate white pasta, but now I try to make it healthier by choosing whole wheat. Honestly, I can't tell the difference between the two, and have come to actually prefer it over white pasta.

When I was a little girl, my mom used to make what I call shells and peas. She would take the mini shells and throw in some gravy, peas and ricotta cheese and call it a meal. I don't know what it was, but every time my mom made it, I felt like I needed to devour the entire bowl.

Seeing as I have a ton of peas to use up in my freezer, I thought I'd make my own version, baked ziti style.

I started off by thawing out a bunch of peas by running them under hot water.


Aren't they pretty?

Next, I cooked some pasta and mixed it in with the peas.



I mixed in some gravy, put it all in a casserole dish, topped with cheese and baked it for about 10 minutes.



When it was all done, it looked like this.


And, because you know how much I love cheese shots, I have this one for you as well.


Yummy melted cheese!

Question of the Day:
What's your favorite pasta add-in?

Until next time!
~Anne Marie

8 comments:

Jasmine @ Eat Move Write said... Best Blogger Tips

I add peas ALOT, actually. I usually throw a can of chicken or tuna in my pasta (even in mac n cheese). It ups the protein and makes a pasta side into the main dish.

Erica said... Best Blogger Tips

YUM! Great dish. I make a baked pasta dish with cauliflower and spinach that is pretty yummy!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said... Best Blogger Tips

I love cheese in pasta, obviously :-) I also like black olives and tomatoes in pasta!!

Nicole, RD said... Best Blogger Tips

THAT LOOKS SO GOOD! Mmmm! Peas and pasta were made to go together!

THE ACTORS DIET said... Best Blogger Tips

pasta n peas! yum! i love TJ's meatless meatballs in my pasta.

Mom on the Run said... Best Blogger Tips

I love peas,pasta, and cheese. Such great flavor combination. This weather is scaring me. The cold weather will be here at the end of the week :(

Dawn Dishes It Out said... Best Blogger Tips

YUMMY! Peas and pasta are like peanut butter and jelly ... they go sooo well together. What a nice simple dish!! Yea to simple italian cooking.

One Healthy Apple said... Best Blogger Tips

Peas are good. Something about them reminds me of being a kid! I love olives and of course good red sauce! Not that I ever make it, but I love eating other people's good sauce!

Love the cheese shots!