Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Muffins Out Of My Ears!

Happy Tuesday!

I just finished taking my midterm in educational psychology. While it was much easier than expected (untimed and open book), it was still challenging. It is just me, or do open book tests seem harder than they should be?

This month, I've been trying to cut back on my grocery bill. One way of doing this was to shop at BJ's Wholesale Club for my meats. I purchased 3lbs of extra lean ground turkey for a little over $7.00. Unfortunately, I forgot to package the turkey in 1lb bags before I put it in the freezer. That meant I had to defrost and cook the entire package this weekend. It wasn't exactly what I had planned to do with the meat, but desperate times call for desperate measures!

I did the quickest, easiest thing I could think of and made some meatloaf muffins.


I ended up getting two trays out of the package, which isn't so bad.



Both trays cooked and cooled.


Question of the Day:
Have you ever defrosted something and then refroze it? What happened?

My mom goes by a strict rule of "once you defrost it, you have to cook it". I admit that I've defrosted chicken, realized I wasn't going to use it all and have refrozen it without any problems. I didn't want to try that with ground meat though!

Until next time!
~Anne Marie

16 comments:

Christina said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow, meatloaf muffins. That sounds interesting! Are they kind of like meatballs?

I've never defrosted and then froze again. My parents always told me the same thing that your Mom said but I'd probably do it anyways if I had to.

Anne Marie said... Best Blogger Tips

Hey Christina,

Yes-they are very similar to meatballs! I don't put ketchup in my meatballs though, although I do use it in my meatloaf.

eaternotarunner said... Best Blogger Tips

I never re-freeze just because it makes me nervous....probably wouldn't hurt you though!

Mari said... Best Blogger Tips

I never re-freezed anything...well maybe chicken breast because they are stuck together and I use one, and put the rest back.

Mom on the Run said... Best Blogger Tips

I have never made meatloaf muffins. I think that would be a great thing to do for portion control. I am thinking of all the possibilities.

Jasmine @ Eat Move Write said... Best Blogger Tips

I've never re-frozen, I don't think, but I do the "flash defrost" thing where you put something frozen in hot water to soak. I've not died. So far. :) lol...

Honeycombmama said... Best Blogger Tips

Great plan you came up with and they look great! I have never re-froze any meat either. My mom taught me the same thing. Seems to be the trend;)

eatmovelove said... Best Blogger Tips

Love the muffins chickie!!! I've totally defrosted and re-froze...don't know if you should...but I'm still alive...and half-normal...;)

Anne Marie said... Best Blogger Tips

Eatmovelove, that's too funny!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg said... Best Blogger Tips

Hmmm...I've never refrozen...just makes me a little too nervous :-)

Erica said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm with your mama! Once I defrost, I don't re-freeze. The mini muffin meatloaves are a great way to use ground meat! Plus they are great portion control. Josh loves these- nice work chicky!

Agree- they make open book tests soooooo detailed. You feel like you need to know where everything is in the book even more inside and out!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said... Best Blogger Tips

I have never done that with meat, but I have with other stuff.

I didn't know you were taking a class in Ed. Psych. ... that is what I am planning on doing my masters in in the fall.

I HATE open book tests - they are brutal!

preventionrd said... Best Blogger Tips

I've been wanting to make meatloaf muffins, but my husband vetoes the idea every time! They look fantastic and now I want to try them more than everrrr! : )

Dawn Dishes It Out said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm a scaredy cat when it comes to re-freezing. I too go with the old school rule!!

fittingbackin said... Best Blogger Tips

I haven't - mine gave me that speech and apparently it did and still does scare me into submission! You make me feel better!!

I would rather defrost and freeze ALL of my food then take an open book test - they're ridiculous!

lynn @ the actors diet said... Best Blogger Tips

i've made stuff with something frozen (like veggies) and then refroze that. does that count?