Friday, January 8, 2010

The Little Secret Ingredient

Good morning and happy Friday! I woke up to see some snow on the ground, but now the sun is shining and the snow is looking like a thing of the past. Thank goodness! I'm really done with all the snow now, which is kind of a shame because we are just beginning the winter season!

Normally when I make my meatloaf, I add ketchup to my mix. I opened up my fridge to get out the ketchup when I saw this:


Good stuff if you ask me!

I wondered if it would make a difference in the taste, and I was crossing my fingers that it would give it a new flavor.


It came out of the oven looking pretty normal.


I'm sad to say that I didn't taste much of a difference at all. Maybe next time I'll add more barbecue sauce. For some reason, the meatloaf was also a bit more crumbly than usual. I'm wondering if it was caused by the new secret ingredient.


Over the Christmas break, my uncle (who by the way has a heck of a collection of recipes) made some beer chili. When the husband and I went over to his and my aunt's house to pick up a table they were giving to us, my uncle packed up some beer chili for me to try. I promised him that it would make it to the food blog after I tasted it.


I must warn you, the below picture was taken when the chili was right out of the fridge. Once it was heated, it had more of a chili consistency.



I'm not a beer drinker at all (heck, I don't even like the stuff!), but you couldn't taste it at all in this recipe. Uncle Chris, the beer chili was awesome!! Dan and I shared it, and he really loved it too! Thank you for sharing some with me!


Question of the Day:

Do you have any secret ingredients you use in recipes? Care to share?


Until next time!
~Anne Marie

7 comments:

preventionrd said... Best Blogger Tips

Yum! That sauce looks delicious!!

Secret ingredient? It's no secret, but garlic!

Dawn (HealthySDLiving) said... Best Blogger Tips

Honey Mustard BBQ Sauce sounds like the most delicious thing EVER!

One Healthy Apple said... Best Blogger Tips

I don't have intentional secret ingredients! I have a hard time following a recipe, but I do love subbing applesauce in baked goods. Nobody ever notices!

Mari said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh I actually use bbq sauce in my Meatloaf and I heart it!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said... Best Blogger Tips

I have a secret - when I make chocolate chip cookies and the recipe calls for brown sugar, I use the golden brown sugar. People always comment on how white my chocolate chip cookies look, and I never tell them my secret. They complain that theirs get too dark.

Shhh, don't tell!

Erica said... Best Blogger Tips

Beer chili? Sounds good to me ;) Gotta love a good male cook! I think ground flax makes a world of difference in granola. As does chocolate in chili!

Christina said... Best Blogger Tips

Ugh, don't remind me that winter is just starting. I'm sick of the cold too!