Friday, January 22, 2010

General Tso's Chicken Success!

Happy Friday! I'm so happy that the weekend is almost here....not that I have anything terribly exciting going on, but it'll be nice to have a few days of good old rest and relaxation.

I don't know if it's just me, but whenever I try to replicate a Chinese food dish, it's an epic fail. The food tastes good, but it's a little bit "off" from the way they make it in the restaurant. Well, I finally found a recipe that tastes almost exactly like takeout. You can find the recipe for General Tso's Chicken here.


First, I made the sauce.


I think it's kinda cool that you can see the reflection of a plate that hangs in our kitchen in this picture. And, if you look really close, there's a potholder that my cousin Allison made for me.

Next, I added onion and red pepper. My grocery store was out of scallions, so I just used what I had on hand.

Looks tasty, no?
Next up was the diced chicken.



Once it was cooked, I added the sauce and cooked it until it was thickened.
I served this with brown rice, and let me tell you, I'll definitely be making this again! In fact, I didn't tell the husband what we were having for dinner, and when he tasted it, he said "is this General Tso's chicken? We should have this every week!"


Question of the Day:

What's your favorite thing to order when you are having takeout?

I love just about anything-chicken and broccoli, general tso's chicken, lo mein....I'm a sucker for Chinese food!


Until next time!
~Anne Marie

12 comments:

Erica said... Best Blogger Tips

Glad it turned out well! I LOVE making takeout at home. I have a great recipe for beef and broccoli on my blog. I like garlicy vegetables :)

eaternotarunner said... Best Blogger Tips

Any thing with broccoli for sure!

Mari said... Best Blogger Tips

Yums I wish you lived closer! I would have come over for din din lol...

I love chinese takeout...Hunan Shrimp or Crab ragoons, Sesame Chicken with only white meat and extra crispy lol, Beef and Broccoli! okay this just made me hungry lol

sideofsneakers.com said... Best Blogger Tips

I definitely need to try this-- General Tso's is my all time fave!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said... Best Blogger Tips

My favourite thing to order for takeout is pizza or Thai.

Christina said... Best Blogger Tips

Yay for Chinese food success! My favorite (before I went veg) was chicken and broccoli and general tso's chicken. Maybe I can try general tso's tofu?

preventionrd said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm a sucker for Chinese, too! I love egg foo yung! Shrimp :) Mmm!! I go easy on the gravy but overall it actually is pretty healthy!

lynn @ the actors diet said... Best Blogger Tips

i feel like chinese takeout isn't complete without some slurpy noodles you can eat right outa the carton!!!

Kristen @ Change of Pace said... Best Blogger Tips

I love all the bad Chinese food. Pork dumplings, wontons, fried rice... Which is probably why we hardly ever get it! :)

Meredith (Pursuing Balance) said... Best Blogger Tips

My favorite thing to order is pizza, no cheese, lots of veggies!

megan said... Best Blogger Tips

this looks so good! This is my favorite type of chinese food, but I haven't eaten it in forever. we used to have it all the time in college :)

One Healthy Apple said... Best Blogger Tips

Eeek- you won't like me because I'm not a huge Chinese food fan! I do love hot and sour soup though!

I love takeout sushi best!

Great job on the home cooked takeout meal- a real art and so much better for you!