Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Craving Stromboli

Good morning and happy Wednesday! We've made it this far-only two more work days until the weekend!

I don't know about you, but sometimes I like to feel that I'm eating something that's not so good for me, but in reality, what I'm eating isn't so bad at all. This was exactly the case when I decided to make Roni's Turkey Stromboli for dinner.


You can find the recipe if you click on the link above, but basically, I browned turkey, green peppers, a small zucchini and an onion until the turkey was cooked through. After it was cooked, I added tomato sauce and let it simmer for a few minutes while I rolled out the whole wheat pizza dough. Actually, the husband was just coming home from work when I was ready to roll it out, and he volunteered to take on the challenge. It was nice having him with me in the kitchen again!




The meat mixture topped with cheese.


Ready to go into the oven.


Piping hot.


All together now!

I brought one of these to my mom's house last night and she wanted the recipe. I have to say that this is a pretty rare occurrence-most times she gives me a weird face when I tell her what I'm eating.

Question of the Day:
What's your favorite filling in a stromboli?

Pepperoni and cheese is my all time favorite. It's so, so good!

Until next time!
~Anne Marie

12 comments:

eatmovelove said... Best Blogger Tips

YUM! I pretty much love anything that has cheese and spaghetti sauce or salsa on it haha!! Love chicken too :)

Erica said... Best Blogger Tips

What a great and easy meal! Love that the husband helped out too! I love tons of veggies (peppers and onions mostly), cheese and lots of sauce

Casey @SpicyandSweet said... Best Blogger Tips

Mmm...looks delish!! I love sausage and any type of cheese in a stromboli!

Christina said... Best Blogger Tips

I've been wanting to make calzones. These look a lot like them. I like lots of cheese in them :)

eaternotarunner said... Best Blogger Tips

That looks so good! Anything with cheese :)

megan said... Best Blogger Tips

I absolutely love strombolis! They always seem so complicated though. Yours looks so good

preventionrd said... Best Blogger Tips

Funny to see this post as I just found out what a stromboli is after a meal out with my in-laws a few weeks ago! I'm going with pepperoni! What can I say, I love it! : ) Yours look wonderful, I know they're not the easiest thing to make!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said... Best Blogger Tips

Oooooooooh I like this question!!!

Boston Pizza had a perogy stromboli on their menu a few years ago. They took it off the menu, but still make it for me when I ask for it.

To-die-for.

Dawn Dishes It Out said... Best Blogger Tips

Holy DELICIOUS! Easy and yummy. I think I would like broccoli rabe and cheese.

Mari said... Best Blogger Tips

Yums that looks so good! is stromboli the same as a calzone???

Anne Marie said... Best Blogger Tips

Mari, I had the same question! I looked it up and came up with this:

A Stromboli and a Calzone start off the same--both made with pizza dough.

But, their shapes are different. The Calzone's dough starts off like a triangle. The Stromboli dough looks like a long rectangle.

Then come the toppings. The Stromboli gets a healthy portion of mozzarella cheese. The Calzone get a scoop of ricotta and a scoop of mozzarella. That's the main difference right there.

You can add whatever meat you'd like, then fold it up. Bake for about 7 minutes, and there you have it.

Roni said... Best Blogger Tips

They look so good! Glad you guys liked then!