Friday, December 11, 2009

Cauliflower Rice

Yep, you read that right. Last week, I was reading Healthy San Diego Living's blog (which you should check out-it's amazing!) and came across this recipe idea for turning cauliflower into rice. From the moment I read it, I knew I wanted to give it a try. I thought it would be such a cool idea to make a faux rice out of something so healthy.

I wanted to challenge myself to make this work for one reason and one reason only: the husband despises cauliflower. He'll eat almost anything, but if there's cauliflower on his plate, he avoids it like the plague. For the first year of our relationship, whenever I would make him dinner, he would gag down the cauliflower because he felt bad. I used to by the Steam Fresh mixed vegetables and never caught onto why it took him forever to finish his vegetables!

I took this big guy and paired him up with my cheese grater.



After making a mess, I ended up with this.



Doesn't it look very similar to rice?

I added some chili powder, garlic powder and soy sauce, and it turned out like this:


Little darker in color, but still looking good!

I served this along with a wrap. I told the husband that it was rice, but he knew that I was going to use cauliflower somewhere in the meal. I didn't say anything to him as he tasted it. He looked at me and said "you mixed cauliflower in the rice, didn't you?" When I told him it was only cauliflower, he was surprised. He was definitely fooled! He ended up finishing his entire serving of the faux rice, and told me that he would eat cauliflower in rice form any day.

As for me, I thought it tasted like doctored up cauliflower. I loved it and will definitely be making it again. Next time, I'm thinking of adding some onion and other veggies to give the appearance of fried rice.

This is one of the main reasons why I love blogging/reading other people's blogs. There's so many creative people out there!

Question of the Day:

Any fun weekend plans?

I hope you all have a fabulous day!

Until next time!
~Anne Marie

12 comments:

Dawn (HealthySDLiving) said... Best Blogger Tips

Yaaaaay! I'm so glad you tried it and he actually liked it! I was pretty shocked when my boyfriend enjoyed it himself--he even finished the leftovers that I had put in the fridge!
Have a great weekend! :)

Mari said... Best Blogger Tips

Dawn has a great blog...she comes up with really great dishes =)

Ha kudos for tricking the hubs =)

Mom on the Run said... Best Blogger Tips

I need to check out that blog.

Your dish looks great and I bet I could "trick" the kids into eating another vegetable. I am so excited to try this recipe. Thanks :)

Jenn@slim-shoppin said... Best Blogger Tips

I never would have thought about doing that with Cauliflower!

Maybe my kids would eat it that way!

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow! I totally want to try that out now! That looks really good.

Erica said... Best Blogger Tips

I saw that posting and thought it was a genius idea! Glad the husband liked it too!! Fun weekend plans = husbands work christmas party tonight (hopefully fun), teaching tomorrow, to the SPCA to donate $$ and towels and give the puppers some cookies, and out to dinner with friends tomorrow. Can't wait!

biz319 said... Best Blogger Tips

OMG, I don't know if my hubby would go along with that, but I think I'll try it!!

One time he asked what we were having for dinner. I said we were having spaghetti squash pasta with quinoa meatballs.

He just laughed. Until I brought him his plate. He went right to the computer and tweeted: "My wife said we were having spaghetti squash and quinoa meatballs. I thought she was kidding. She wasn't!"

Meredith (Pursuing Balance) said... Best Blogger Tips

That faux rice is super cool! Thanks for sharing. :)

Emily said... Best Blogger Tips

That has to got to be the most genius things I've EVER heard of and you bet I'll be trying it when I get my hands on a cauliflower!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said... Best Blogger Tips

Cauliflower rice!!!!! So cool!!

This weekend I have my work Christmas party!! Can't wait!!

sophia said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow, that's really interesting. I actually HATe rice, but I would probabyl eat that! I heard you can do a similar thing with jicama!

Christina said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow, it really does look like rice!