Friday, November 6, 2009

Ziti Two Ways and a Trick!

Like I have mentioned before, I love anything pasta related. What can I say, I'm Italian! A few months ago, I got into a habit of eating baked ziti every week.

Growing up, my mom had meal plans. Every other week, we'd have pasta two times during that week. One day was the long thin noodles, and the next was the short, ziti shaped noodles. I can remember going through a stage of being tired of spaghetti. (The horror, I know!) Thankfully, it only lasted a few months, and now, the more pasta, the better. (well, within reason of course!)


Almost a year ago, the husband and I got involved in a project called Aid for Friends, which provides meals to those who cannot afford it. Aid for Friends asks that you put your leftovers in a silver tray along with a side dish (such as frozen or canned veggies, etc.), wrap it up and freeze it. Once the meals are frozen, you take them to the designated freezer and someone comes and distributes them. You can see where we got a bunch of friends together to make a massive amount of meals here. Since we have been slacking lately, I decided to make a tray of regular ziti along with a tray of whole wheat ziti for the husband and I. When I say regular, I mean that the ziti was not whole wheat (which is the only thing we eat at home).



Before going into the oven



After going into the oven.


I know there are many people who don't like fat free cheese, but I am not one of them. I am a big fan of Kraft's fat free shredded mozzarella cheese and use it in place of regular cheese all the time. I've heard people complain that fat free cheese doesn't melt like regular cheese does. Well, my friends, I have a trick for you. If you spray the cheese with a little bit of cooking spray, it melts just fine.


See what I mean? This is the tray of regular baked ziti with fat free cheese on top.

I can't tell you how easy it is to be involved with Aid for Friends. The best part is that there is no commitment. If you are too busy one week, or don't have any leftovers, there's no pressure to "have to" make a meal. I think that the husband and I are more committed to this organization because there's no commitment, if that makes any sense!

Question of the Day:
Okay everyone, I'm asking for your advice/opinion on this one! The husband and I are thinking of quitting the gym. He got a part-time job, and his schedule is crazy. We were thinking about it, and if we worked out at home, we could save money and get some extra sleep. The downside? I'm worried about how committed I am going to be. We worked out at home this morning to test the waters, and I really enjoyed working out and sleeping in without being overly tired. So here's my question....do you workout at home or in a gym? If you do workout at home, what's your motivation?

Wow, that was a long question!

I hope you enjoy your weekend!

I wanted to wish my mom a very happy birthday!!! (her birthday is tomorrow!)

Until next time!
~Anne Marie

8 comments:

Mari said... Best Blogger Tips

Yums ZITI! (Homer voice)

I work out at home and I love it! I don't have to worry about getting dressed up and hitting the gym. I roll out of bed grab my clothes and workout =).

I like to do it in the morning...and my motivation is you guys! I love knowing that somewhere out there, another bloggie is waking up to do the same thing...

Christina said... Best Blogger Tips

I love working out at home! You can get your workout over with so much quicker and watch whatever you want on TV while doing it. Also, I wear anything I'd like - often my pajama pants - so I have less laundry. As for motivation, you just have to get outta bed and do it!

One Healthy Apple said... Best Blogger Tips

I am opposite and can't get a good workout at home. I have self-diagnosed ADD and don't have the drive, but that doesn't mean you can't. If it saves money and you have the ebergy, then I say go for it!

Dawn (HealthySDLiving) said... Best Blogger Tips

I do both right now! Days I don't feel like going alllll the way to the gym and want to have some extra time or sleep I definitely work out at home. I used to just do it at home.
I think that if you make the commitment to yourself that you'll be fine--just don't let yourself give in and make sure you keep it up!

eatmovelove said... Best Blogger Tips

Great question!! I do find it hard to get motivated at home...and not to lie on the couch :). but honestly, I think it's a great idea - if you just set aside a time and put on a DVD or just say like 20 mins of this, and put on some music - it'll be great! plus you save time and travelling in bad weather and money !!

Erica said... Best Blogger Tips

Yum Yum! I love pasta bakes- they're delicious, easy to make, and if you make a big one- can last you through multiple meals (hence why I made the bake for Josh this weekend!). I work out mostly at the gym but do run in my neighborhood as well as do occasional videos at home. If you guys are seriously considering quitting the gym, I'd lay out a plan for all of your workouts over the next few weeks ahead of time- that way you can't make excuses to skip them because you don't know what kind of workout you want to do!

Haylee said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm not in good enough health to workout at home at the moment, but when I used to workout, I never had a gym pass! Instead I did "fun" activities like play Dance dance revolution and I heard Wii Fit is another good one. I think enjoying your workout is key in keeping your motivation.

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said... Best Blogger Tips

I am struggling with the same thing - I wanted to work out at home, but I find myself not doing it. I need to go to the gym I think ... or I need warm weather so I can at least go out side.