Monday, November 30, 2009

Monday Musings

Happy Monday!

The husband and I have the day off today. He had to work on Friday and Saturday, so we figured we'd take some time off so we can spend the day together.

Thanksgiving was a lot of fun. It was nice to see both sides of the family. We visited with Dan's family for dinner and my family for dessert. I think this was the first Thanksgiving that I didn't feel stuffed to the gills after dinner. I made a promise to myself that Thanksgiving was just another day with really yummy food. I picked what I wanted to eat and ate until I knew I had enough without feeling like the top button on my pants was going to pop off!

Dessert was another story though. My mom made homemade apple pie, cherry pie and carrot cake, and my cousin Allison made hard to resist chocolate chip cookies. I had more than my fair share of cookies, small slices of apple pie and the moo-less chocolate pie. It was all delicious, but I have to admit that I woke up Friday morning not hungry at all (which is unlike me).

My mom and two of my cousins tried the pie that I made, and they loved it! My aunt refused to try it because she new that there had to be something "weird" in it. I'll get her to come around one of these days!

So, I have a situation that happened over Thanksgiving that I wanted to share with you/ask advice about. Every year, my husband's family participates in a pollyanna. Only the "kids" are involved. I use the term very loosely because the "kids" are my husband and myself, his step-brother (who is my age) and his sister and brother-in-law. The limit is $60 per person. For the hubby and I, that obviously equates to $120 for the both of us. In addition, we get gifts for his mom and dad and his nephews. In the end, almost everyone buys something for someone.

With the husband and I on a budget, we realized that financially, it makes no sense. In fact, we could probably get away with spending $60 total on his sister and brother-in-law and his step-brother. When his family asked us if we were participating in the pollyanna this year and we said no, the brother-in-law was rather upset. He couldn't understand why we didn't want to do it, even though we told him it made no sense when everyone was buying gifts for everyone else anyway. I was ready to back down and do the pollyanna, but the husband stood his ground. Despite the uncomfortable feeling, I'm glad that he was able to stand up for what he believed in. Me? Well, I'm just a softie.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the situation. What would you have done?

I guess that leads me to my question of the day:

Are you someone who backs down when confronted or do you stand your ground?

I apologize for the rant on the blog, but it was good to get it off of my chest! Thank you for taking the time to read my random ramblings.

Until next time!
~Anne Marie

6 comments:

Christina said... Best Blogger Tips

Haha your Aunt is so funny. I'm sure she'll come around to your healthy food some day!

I'm not sure what Pollyanna is but $120 is A LOT to spend! I'm glad your husband didn't back down. This year my Mom asked my Aunt if they could only buy gifts for the "kids" (aka me and my cousins) instead of the adults b/c money is tight and they made a big deal over it. I can't imagine buying gifts and giving money for that game!

One Healthy Apple said... Best Blogger Tips

I think that a lot of people are on a budget and it's not fair of your family to expect you to participate if it's not within your means or your choice. Good for your husband for standing up. I'm a horrible pushover, so I would have probably backed down, but I'm working on it!

Also, great job on treat the holiday in a realistic and healthy mindset!

Mari said... Best Blogger Tips

I am def on a budget this year and only buying for my immediate family and every year my fam does secret santa and I never participate because I live alone and need to focus on other things and every year my extended family makes me feel bad but I always stand my ground. They are not paying my bills =)

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said... Best Blogger Tips

I would have done the pollyanna, just because I LOVE buying gifts, and look for any excuse to buy more ... even if it costs a lot. I can see why you wouldn't want to do it though, because that is a lot of money.

I tend to back down. I try so hard to please people, that I am often not happy as a result.

Donna said... Best Blogger Tips

I agree with you! That is a lot of money - especially when everyone is buying for everyone anyway what is the sense! Stand your ground girlfried! I say Kudos to the hubs!!

Allison (Eat Clean Live Green) said... Best Blogger Tips

Gift giving can be such a touchy subject. We do a similar exchange in my family (all the cousins), and had to back out of it this year. Luckily, when we brought it up, it turned out most people had been thinking the same thing.

Good for you for knowing what a realistic limit for you + your husband is!